BIOS Flash Failed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylmurhaha

Solid State Member
So I wanted to overclock my CPU, but my BIOS was too outdated, so I need to update it. I was using an update BIOS utility that came with my motherboard, so I don't know what went wrong, but it did go wrong. It said nothing went wrong, it asked me to restart, I restarted, and now the computer wont boot. What do I do now?

I have to buy a new BIOS chip, right? I've got a K8V-MX motherboard, where do I get my chip, and which one do I get (and how do I replace it)?? I need my computer back!!

Did you use a boot floppy type tool when going to flash the update? Asus sees the Afudos BIOS utility for a manual update by floppy. First you need a copy of the update on the root of the hard drive as well as on the floppy itself when going to flash.

The latest or last version of that tool can be downloaded from the update page for that model board at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

For ordering a replacement eprom direct from Asustek you have to be experience at changing components on a board. They generally see a $25- price plus S&H when ordering a replacement and ask which version of the bios you want on it.

You may want to attempt a reflash to correct the one that went bad on you first however. Refer to the instructions for various model boards seen at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

The following as suspected however requires you first clear the cmos when seeing a bad flash occur to see if the system will recover. Note the following:

Update BIOS failure

First, please try to clear CMOS and try if the problem could be solved. You can clear CMOS by changing the CLR_CMOS jumpers on your motherboard. The original position should be pin1-2, you need to configure it to pin2-3 for about 10 seconds, then reset to the original pins.

If you still cannot boot the PC, please contact your dealer and let him test the motherboard for you if the problem still exists. Please let him post the motherboard to our RMA we will test it and help you solve the problem..

Before flashing your BIOS, please check if the tools you are using are the latest version. Your problem may be caused by the version of your tool.

Else, you can save the BIOS file into a flash disk then boot the system and enter BIOS. Then you can update your BIOS by EZ Flash which is in the BIOS Tools page. After that, you can update the BIOS following the prompt of EZ Flash.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

First, please try to clear CMOS and try if the problem could be solved. You can clear CMOS by changing the CLR_CMOS jumpers on your motherboard. The original position should be pin1-2, you need to configure it to pin2-3 for about 10 seconds, then reset to the original pins.

I'm sorry, can you rephrase, I don't understand. I definitely want to try anything I can to get my computer to boot.

I'm sorry, can you rephrase, I don't understand. I definitely want to try anything I can to get my computer to boot.

Take the small silver button battery out of your motherboard for 15 minutes. Just get your finger underneath it and pull. Then put it back in and boot your computer.

Were you over clocking when updating the bios?

You said it won't reboot. Are you able to get into the bios to restore the settings the way they were before the flash?

What you saw there was in print at the Asus support site. For clearing the cmos on the older model board there you have to look right close to the battery holder for a small jumper that covers 2 out of 3 pins.

You simply pop the battery and move the jumper back and forth replacing the battery after. It only takes a few seconds since the jumper discharges a cap on the board that retains the cmos information while changing batteries. On newer boards the jumper is often no longer seen. You simply pop the battery out for about 30 seconds not 15 minutes.

I can't find exactly where this is supposed to go down. I saw in the manual its supposed to be right down by the bottom right of the motherboard, but I don't even know what it looks like

EDIT: And do I have to take my motherboard out to do this?
EDIT2: and no I was not overclocking when reseting the BIOS. In fact, I was reseting the BIOS so I could overclock. The BIOS I had didnt have any option to
EDIT3: Ok I found everything I needed to, but am I supposed to turn on the computer while the jumper is on pin 2 and 3?

Negative! You always power down first when opening up a case. And you don't remove the board but simply remove the battery from the holder and move the jumper(small plastic cap) over from 1+2 to 2+3 and then back to the default position.

The cap will be discharged in only a second or so when doing this. If the system was on live power would keep the cap constantly charged besides any likely damage you could end up seeing.

On many of the older boards you often simply moved the jumper back and forth without even removing the battery. But for that model you first pop that out and then move the jumper over for that brief second and then back followed by reinserting the battery back in and you're done. Then you can try to get the update on correctly from there.

Well, I supposed I am fresh out of luck then. I did everything said and my computer still won't boot. I turn on the computer and just get a black screen. Sometimes a weird noise comes on when I turn the computer on too.

Do I need to buy a new motherboard or just a new BIOS chip? If I need a BIOS chip, does it come pre-programmed so I don't have to deal with flashing it (I would die if I messed it up again haha). Also, is the BIOS chip easily replaceable or does it involve soldering it on?

Some motherboards can reflash a faulty BIOS using a special recovery CD or something. I was reading about upgrading the BIOS on my laptop (I modified it to allow GPU overclocking, luckily everything went fine) and some people said there was a CD for Phoenix BIOS based boards that could restore a bad flash. Not sure what kind of BIOS your computer has but you can see if there is a recovery CD.

Look on your motherboard. The BIOS chip usually has some sort of label on it indicating that it is the BIOS chip. If it is socketed, you don't need to solder to replace it. However, if it's soldered in, you do need to desolder it. If it didn't come programmed there would be no point, as you already have a working BIOS chip that just has the wrong info stored on it, the chip itself should be fine. Try removing the CMOS battery, setting the reset jumper if it has one, unplugging the power connector, etc as well, these may reset the board to a working state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom