Possible upgrade option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So I was thinking about trying to sort of "future proof" my computer. All I'd want to get is a new cpu and motherboard. About how much would a pretty good board and cpu cost, I don't need the best of the best. I'd say not a lot more than 300 dollars or so would be spending limit. Also, how much work do I have to do to set that up,since I still keep the same harddrive?

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

There's your 300, you can use everything from your old setup....

Otherwise you can wait for Core i7 but I wouldn't bother as I don't think it will be done well on a budget...

if you want to spend some more the P5Q Pro is better, P5Q-E is even better with much better cooling...but they will all get the E8400 to 4ghz providing the CPU is capable of it (99% chance it is).

How about an e7200/e5200? same multiplier, but less cache, and he can get a better board like the higher end P5Q series or the I45...

but then again.. he also wants his nVidia cards so he may need a 750i FTW or something if he plans on SLi

To stop the fanboy, crap (though I am an nvidia fanboy) I am willing to try out ATI. I figure I have many years in my life to build more computer with nvidia, I wouldn't be 100% opposed to building an ATI machine. I have pretty good knowlege of parts, but what exactly is cache? And what does it mean? And are you saying I can OC that 4.0 ghz without an aftermarket cooler?

Great savings w/ ASUS motherboard combo, ends 9/30

So will I save any money by getting that mobo too?

And, is the 3.0ghz necessary, or could I save some money and get say 2.8? Last, is core 2 duo plenty, or should I look at getting one of the quad cores?

Edit: just realized that board only had one PCI-E slot. I'd really like two for future proof of crossfire or SLI.

No that's not what it means, cache is the thing it says in MB next to the CPU name, like 3mb or 6mb (e7200 or e8400's respective cache)

Ha well I knew that much, where it was at in the specs, but idk what you mean by saying no that's now what it means, cuz i didnt make a guess as to what it meant lol. What i don't know is what cache does i guess.

Yeah I want to overclock, and I want a motherboard that supports two pci-e cards in either crossfire or sli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom