New Laptop Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventk

Baseband Member
Hello everyone ! First time here at tech-forums and I was wandering if you guys can do me a favor and tell me if this is a decent laptop?

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Turionâ„¢ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 - Fusion - M305D-S4830

I recieved it as a gift from my uncle and I don't know much about laptops so I was wandering if this can play games like Starcraft 2 and Wrath of the Lich King. I tried looking up the graphics card but I can't seem to find it anywhere !

Also, when it comes to ram I see a desktop uses 1gig and its pretty good but is there a reason why they put 4 gigs on this? Is it neccasary ? I'm running Vista 64-bit and Im just clueless on how it has so much ram yet it seems kinda sluggish O_O

Also, do drivers for the graphics card on laptops matter just like on desktop? Like how theres always a better driver then another for the specific video card? I never used ATi before, been an nvida fan. Anything I should know?

It has HD 3100 integrated graphics which is decent for a laptop. It won't be able to max those games out but I would expect it to be able to play them on at least low settings.

o thank you ! what does hd mean by the way? I know its high definition but for what? Movies?

HD is just part of the model name. As far as your laptop feeling sluggish try running ccleaner. You could also try uninstalling some of the bloatware that new pc's generally come with.

CCleaner - Home

o definitly, already done so. Also do you know anything bout the catalyst control for ATi cards? I needa know if i should turn it more towards Performance or Quality.

I have always left Catalyst on balanced. I would try it on balanced and if games are lagging try turning it to performance and see what effect it has.

yo puddle i was also wandering what would be the best driver for my card again? are the omega's any good?

I haven't had any experience with omega drivers but I think they are intended for older cards. This should be the newest driver for your card. Although ATI did not list a mobile HD 3100 I am assuming it is the same as the desktop one.

AMD GAME Drivers & Tools

i tried to install it but it says i dont have the required software or hardware for it. strange huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom