GPU Memory underclocked? What's up with fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, well I just increased the memory clock. Also did a slight core clock increase. Uh, gonna try it in games see if it freezes up on me. This GPU is disposable, so I won't be way too bummed if it dies.

Also, on RivaTuner the fan was set to automatic...and it never went above 0, even when it's temps got high. I created some profiles that I will utilize now.

GPU-Z reads 0% fan for me also, but I have an acellero with a scythe powered directly from the psu, there is no way it can know the fan speed.

As for your memory the answer is complex but this is what I think is happening. You have GDDR2 memory. Like all double data rate memory its advertised speed (called effective) isn't the real speed it runs at, that is because it has twice the bandwidth (think 4 lane highway as opposed to a 2 lane) so the memory has the same bandwidth as normal dram that had a clock twice as high. GPU-z is reading your true speed, not effective. But that doesn't completely solve the problem, because it should read 400mhz then. I know some Nvidia gpus actually throttle themselves when running in 2d mode and go to full speed in 3d mode. I believe that is why you are showing 266mhz instead of 400mhz. The other possibility is that the memory is defective and running at a low speed, but that is less likely.

im not sure if this is right but i think the reason its showing 0 on fan is cuz on ur card it only has a 2 pin connector so its only a positive and negative wires. you need 3 or more connectors for the fan to give feed back telling its speed.

oh and try downloading ati tool and do the scan for errors test and go in gpuz while its running see if it goes to 400mhz on the ram.

Stalin has a good point. The fan has to have an extra wire to transmit data. Since it is a cheap video card that isn't meant for overclocking they probably didn't include that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom