Notebook CPU'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolution1340

Solid State Member
Hi all:)
I would like to know if notebook procs and desktop procs are the same? I mean could I use a desktop cpu in a laptop?

Thank you all,
Evolution1340:D

Technically no. The laptop CPU's are designed with mobility in mind. There for they require less power and such things. That is why most laptop CPU's you will see have the M after them for mobile.

There are some laptops out there that do use just standard CPU's. But most use the M Processors. Designed for less heat and power.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100. It uses a P4 Prescott desktop CPU. It doesn't come close to having the performance of mobile dual core CPUs.

Mobile CPU's have made huge strides over the last 2 years or so. The Centrino line kicked everything up a huge notch in terms of performance and mobility. I had a desktop Athlon 64 in an old laptop of mine and it was nice but it couldn't compete against the mobile dual core procs, not by a long shot.

Just because they're "mobile processors" doesn't mean anything. Intel's T series of Core 2 Duo are designed for mobile, but my T9300 2.5GHz is very fast, made it on the SuperPi list beating out a few comparable-speed desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom