n00b on his first build with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

italianxmna89

Beta member
ok, so i never built a computer from scratch but i know my way in and out of a computer. I plan on making a high performance pc strictly for gaming and other multimedia. i want this computer to last with only minor upgrades for a looong time. being the guy i am, i want to go big with everything. But i don't want to spend much over $1k on everything.. what i had in mind..

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz
-EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard
-EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Those are the basics for now for me. My questions is regarding memory and OS. I understand a 32-bit will only recognize up to 3gb. However i also understand 64-bits are still a bit buggy with drivers. So, what OS should i run with this kind of performance? Is XP an option? I think i definitely want to go up to atleast 8gb in the future. So is 64-bit my only option? I mean in a few years time shouldn't all the little bugs get worked out with the 64-bit? it has been out a while.

Also, im going with a dual core over a quad because i hear not many games support the quad core cpu? I read that the e8600 cpu has been overclocked up to 4.5ghz:D But i welcome anyone to try and talk me into a quad core setup..

Regarding the video card. I know there is now a way to use two video cards if they have SLI support. How does the output work? is it just one output from one of the cards and they share the activity between the two card via MB or do both cards have to be hooked up to the monitor somehow.

Finally, what PS should i run with the above setup? is 550W enough?

to start with the quad core option, its probably in your best interest just to keep the dual, overall it does offer better performance since they overclock like crazy, all of those e8xxx series do.

#1 ditch the mobo, nvidia mobo's are not recommend unless your absolutely sure you want sli, which theres is currently no point since ATI crossfire is a better option.
get a asus P5Q or biostar I45 both are fine.

#2 64-bit vista bugs are basically gone, driver problems are not an issue anymore. so thatll be fine.

#3 i rec. this build or something very similar.

cpu - e8500, the e8600 isnt worth the extra cash, your overclock will be VERY good anyway.
ram - 2x2GB ocz reapers
mobo - Asus P5Q-pro
video card - 4850 -alot better than 8800gt, overclocks like a dream
psu - corsair 750tx
hdd - WD 640gb

this fit right into your budget it seems, and it a great rig, add a case and dv drive etc. and your set!

thanks baron 5...looks like that saved me $300 in the cart i have going =)...i wont be buying anything till i have all the money..hopefully by then some prices drop.

i also heard i should get a sound card so that the motherboard works more efficiently since its not workin to use its own onboard sound?

thanks redmoon...

for a cpu cooler i was thinking the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler...has over 2000 reviews and 5/5. with the xigmatek rifle cooler i dont see how/where the fan attatches to the heatsink...

The fan attaches to the side of the heatsink, just like the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler... However, I would stay with your arctic freezer 7 because its 10 bucks less and it has the exact same design and engineer as the xigmatek rifle.

Also, I was curious as well, as I am building a new system as well...
Cpu - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
MB- Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Memory- 8gb 2x(2x2gb) Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
PSU- Already have (680w Thermaltake)
GPU - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
HD- Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
cd/dvd - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
Case - Xaser III - V1000D

I was just wonder what OS is recommended for this build...(would like to stay with XP but just reading, I see that 32bit OS can only register 3gb?...(would like to stay with XP for stability reasons)

Lastly, Do you think that my 680w PSU is enough to power this build and is my (old) Xaser III V1000D is reliable to cool my system or should I look into getting another case?

with a gpu like that might as well go 750w corsair...

i personally love this case...

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

a front 120mm fan...2 120mm case fans and a vent for 1 more 120mm case fan lol...then it has a vent on the other side to pull it cool air right behind the cpu when all the case fans are blowing out the hot air.

EDIT: still undecided with what 64bit i'll install...probably vista just to have it ready for the future...just make sure the drivers are digitally signed for vista x64

In response to grkbar, you should change the PSU to a Corsair 750tx and the video card to a 4870.

would like to stay with XP for stability reasons

If you want 4 gig of ram+ then you will need a 64 bit OS, and XP 64BIT is horrible. Vista 64bit is incorrectly seen as being bad or unstable, really this couldn't be further from the truth and really there is only 1 or 2 "instability issues" (certain brands of products, most of them really old). 99.98% of things will work with Vista/Vista 64bit.

i read u wanted to get 8 gigs of ram. that is really pointless unless you do some major programming and editing. even then, I really don't think you need more than four for anything.

^ Not really, onboard sound is fine and unless you have a computer from like 1995, i doubt not having a sound card would effect the pc performance.

Change the motherboard from the P5Q Pro to the P5Q Deluxe. If your overclocking go for a XIGMATEK rifle cpu cooler.

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

the p5q del. has better chipset cooling and supposedly a better onboard sound. it that really worth the extra cash? he would prob get the same overclock with either board. If you really want nice sound get a soundcard, or i suppose you can just get the deluxe its up to you, although it still wont come close to a soundcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom