Partition Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePotter

Solid State Member
Hello tech forums,

I have been having some problems with my partitions on my 2 hard drives for a while now. I downloaded/installed Partition Magic onto my computer, and somehow, it messed up during the process of doing its thing, and now I can only use 20GB on one of my hard drives, and 80 on the other. The one with 20GB has all of my Windows information stored on it, so I really do not want to mess with that, but is there any way to get back the other hard drives partitions?

I was told that MBR might work, but is there any other way to recover those missing areas? How does MBR work? Anything I would have to worry about?

I was also told that if I format my hard drives, that could also fix it, but I kind of do not want to do this, only as a last resort.

Any ideas?

PLEASE HELP!!!

-JoePotter

ok so i saw this post

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/partition-problems-179861/index2.html

Here is the immage shack picture of my Comp Mangement, which Mac213 asked for in the above forum post.

Just a note, I do not need to recover any old data, just want to open up the space to download more things!

-Joepotter

Hello you are close. That pic is of the Device Manager. Not the Disk Management. Please take a screenshot of that and post it.

Also it is Mak213. ;)

Hello you are close. That pic is of the Device Manager. Not the Disk Management. Please take a screenshot of that and post it.

Also it is Mak213. ;)

sorry about that speling error.

here is the disk management,

Any clue what is going on?

-JoePotter

I see your D: drive is dedicated to a 12gb pagefile. Is that what you want?

I haven't used PM in ages. Open Partition Magic and select your Windows partition on disk 1. If you choose to resize your C: drive, move the partition slider all the way to the right to eliminate the 57gb free space. Then apply your action. Or you can choose create a 57gb F: drive using PM or Windows Disk Management.

It isnt that the drive is dedicated to a pagefile. It has a pagefile on it. As does the E:\ Drive.

The green space (or yellow) is RAW data. You need to format that to NTFS for Windows to be able to use it.

Right click on that drive from teh Drive Management screen. There you should see the option to format to NTFS. Select that and do a full format. Not a quick.

Yes it will wipe that PART of the hard drive. Not the whole thing just that part that is in RAW format. If you had data there then it is gone already. RAW format is what hard drives ship in from the factory and they can not hold data. So if you had data there is is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom