Please Help! My Laptop Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloksin

Baseband Member
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS180/W and about 2 weeks it just stopped working, when I power it up the num/cap/scroll lock lights illuminate, but tey never turne off, there is no video on the lcd, and you can hear the HDD spin for about 30 sec. and then silence. What could be causing this and how can I repair it?

It was purchased in early 2006, it is well out of warranty. The problem happens when just the battery is in, just the ac cord is in, or both. I'm leaning away from the HDD being dead because I can hear want to start up, but there is no video, if it was just the HDD I would still be able to get into BIOS, but I can't, no video whatsoever.

Does the HD make a clicking noise - if so it is most definately a crashed head and the drive will need to be replaced. Easy fix on laptops.

You have a serious problem if don't get a Sony logo screen to get into the bios. Something went bad on the motherboard.

Lexluethar its definately not a windows or hard drive problem! The computer will still boot into the bios if it was any of them problems, try swaping the ram to a different slot, then try new ram or a known working item, if that doesnt work attach an external monitor to it, after that its going to get expensive as its unfortunately probably a faulty motherboard.

Sounds like a BIOS or motherboard issue. Definitely not a hard drive or software (Windows) issue, because those don't affect POST. It could also be a RAM error, as a bad RAM stick may prevent POSTing. Try taking your battery and AC out then reinserting (my HP has been stuck where it wouldn't POST but removing the battery fixed it). Try taking out and re-seating the RAM. Try removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. Try starting up while holding the F keys (try each one, they usually tell the BIOS to do certain things or show certain menus). Try an external monitor to see if it's a bad internal one. Check your power supply if possible to make sure it is putting out the needed voltages.

If all of those fail and your power supply is fine, your motherboard most likely needs replaced. I'd take apart the laptop and clean the insides off (if metal scraps or dust get in and short out a point on the board, it can cause a self-detect circuit to shut the board down). If that doesn't work, your board is dead, get a new board (or just get a new laptop if it's cheaper to do so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom