Hey

I'm new here.. I'm needing some help really bad

I just got my new system:

Vista -64
2.83 Ghz
4.0GB DDR3
Dual GeForce 9800s
Striker II Motherboard

And I went into my Asus control panel (I believe it was the ASUS panel) and must have altered my CPU frequency. I think I increased it by 5-6. Anyway, the next time i started my computer, windows failed to start. I told me due to a recent hardware or software change... It gives me an error code that some sort of driver in my .../Windows32 folder fails to load etc.

I tried putting in my Vista disc, setting boot from CD as #1 and it didn't help.. I'm desperate for any suggestions, I've reset BIOS as well..

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

More than likely you didn't reset your CMOS correctly cause that would have fixed the problem. Sometimes its super easy to reset and other times it takes 20x to get it right.

Sounds like you overclocked and made the computer become unstable at the settings you set it at. If you can access you bios just change it back to the default settings. If you really messed it up and can't access your bios you will need to reset your CMOS.

You have to do it right and follow what your instructions say step-by-step or else it wont work. Also just to make sure you are resetting your CMOS its best to unplug your PSU and press the power button a few times. (not sure if it works, but I've heard it helps)

(also..)
In your specs for what CPU you have you only said "2.83ghz." Not that it really relates to your problem, its just a big no-no. For example, you could be talking about a Pentium 4, or a Core2Duo or even a Phenom.. we have no idea. GHZ is not a measure of how fast a CPU is, its just the clock that it runs at.

You're right, I was sorta rushing. I figured it didn't relate to the problem at all so I didn't bother posting the particulars.

It is a core2duo if that makes any differance.

I've read and read about CMOS but have yet to reset them. Will I lose any data I've installed, or will it just "default" my settings?

Is it related to the motherboard, and is that where I will reset it from? I'll need someone to hold my hand on this one.. I'm what you'd call a noob at this. I'm a little hesitant because it's literally 2 days old and I think I've voided the warranty.

You can reset your settings to default and bypass the error you caused two ways. One is to pull our the small watch-like circular battery for 5 minutes then popping it back in. Two, the more common and faster way is by locating the CMOS jumper in your motherboard manual and virtually moving a plastic jumper. Here is a link on how to do that. How to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

In the future you may want to post in the correct section of the forums, this may get moved to the Hardware Troubleshooting. :)

You're right, I was sorta rushing. I figured it didn't relate to the problem at all so I didn't bother posting the particulars.

It is a core2duo if that makes any differance.

I've read and read about CMOS but have yet to reset them. Will I lose any data I've installed, or will it just "default" my settings?

Is it related to the motherboard, and is that where I will reset it from? I'll need someone to hold my hand on this one.. I'm what you'd call a noob at this. I'm a little hesitant because it's literally 2 days old and I think I've voided the warranty.

Alright, well to reset the CMOS this is generally what you will have to do. Keep in mind that the instructions that come with your motherboard have much better detail on what to do.

1) Turn off your PSU and to be safe also unplug your powersupply from your motherboard because it still has a tiny bit of electricity in it.

2) Take out the thumb battery on your motherboard.

3) There should be a CMOS breaker somewhere on your motherboard. You will just move the little thing into the other position (the instruction manual will tell you where its at if you can't find it)

4) Leave it there for a good 30min just to be sure.

5) Switch it back to its original position

6) Put back in the Thumb battery.

7) Plug up your PSU and start up your computer.. it should now be reset back to its original settings.

You can reset your settings to default and bypass the error you caused two ways. One is to pull our the small watch-like circular battery for 5 minutes then popping it back in. Two, the more common and faster way is by locating the CMOS jumper in your motherboard manual and virtually moving a plastic jumper. Here is a link on how to do that. How to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

In the future you may want to post in the correct section of the forums, this may get moved to the Hardware Troubleshooting. :)

Do not do that!

If you have the battery in and have the Powersupply hooked up to your motherboard while you move the jumper to the other position, it is possible to corrupt your bios. You have to do both, not one of the other. The whole point of going through the whole process of turning off your powersupply and taking out the battery is to make sure that you don't have electricity running through your motherboard while you are trying to reset your CMOS. Because this has been known to cause many problems.

On the back of my computer, there is a small button that says "CLR CMOS".. should this be pressed? If so..with power on or off?

I've scanned all over my motherboard for that plastic jumper but cannot find it..I'll keep looking though.

Here's the error code I get after starting up:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hard/software change might be the cause.

1. Insert Windows installation CD
2. Chose language
3. click "Repair system"

File: /windows/system32/drivers/sfsync04.sys

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file."

With that info do you still suggest I reset my CMOS. I cannot find info on how to reset my CMOS in the manual for my motherboard.

PS: Sorry, I didn't see the hardware section..I looked for a tech/faq etc section but thought this would be best when I didn't see those.

After resetting the CMOS using the CLR CMOS button on the tower, I came to a screen during start up and it held a line something like

cmoschecksum error defaults restored

However, the same problem still comes up. the sfsync04.sys driver is still the cause

I finally found the clr cmos jumper on the board itself. The reason I could not find it before was the fact that it's put conveniently behind a huge network oh heat-sinks I had installed for the motherboard and CPU.. The network goes behind my Dual graphics cards that I have no intention of removing so reaching the switch is unlikely. I'll tinker tomorrow with it though and check back

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

After resetting the CMOS using the CLR CMOS button on the tower, I came to a screen during start up and it held a line something like

cmoschecksum error defaults restored

However, the same problem still comes up. the sfsync04.sys driver is still the cause

I finally found the clr cmos jumper on the board itself. The reason I could not find it before was the fact that it's put conveniently behind a huge network oh heat-sinks I had installed for the motherboard and CPU.. The network goes behind my Dual graphics cards that I have no intention of removing so reaching the switch is unlikely. I'll tinker tomorrow with it though and check back

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

No problem man.

If resetting the cmos doesn't fix your problem then try another CD. It might be too scratched up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom