Need help BUYING COMPUTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanquish39

Beta member
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to this site and I'm glad I found it. Recently I decided to buy a new hardcore gaming computer but there are some things I need help with. I'm going to give you the specs of the PC and I was hoping that maybe you can guide me into believing if this is a SUITABLE price and is worth it or I can buy a better one elsewhere.

Here are the specs. :)

Cooling method: Alienware® ALX High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9770 3.2GHz 12MB Cache 1600MHz FSB

Graphics Card: Dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI® Radeon® HD 4870 X2 with CrossFireX™ and Quad GPU Technology

Memory: 4GB† Corsair Dominator Overclocked Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 x 1024MB

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate

System Drive: 2TB (2 x 1TB) SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 2 x 32MB Cache

Optical Drives: 4x Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW)

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1

Monitor: 22" Samsung 2253BW – 1680 x 1050 (2ms) Widescreen Flat Panel

Speakers: Logitech® G51 Surround Sound Speaker System

Keyboard: Logitech® G15 Keyboard

Asking Price: $7,500

Do you think this is good or bad?
If so, please explain.
If it's bad where do you think I should go to buy a cheaper computer which is also very strong..

All comments are strongly appreciated

Thank you

-Van :)

Also will any of you give me a example built. Like what parts have worked with you and what parts suck and stuff. I'm kind of a noobie on this. All I want is a extremely powerful gaming computer. I don't know how to build a computer that's why I'm not going to newegg. :(

well, thats ridiculous really, you can build the ultimate gaming power rig for ~1.5k. Those crossfire 4870x2's are not needed at all. Just buy one 4870x2, or even a single 4870. if you not gaming on anything higher then 30" its just not needed. and even then a 4870x2 will hold its own.

i rec.

cpu- Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
mobo- Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
g card- Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
4870x2 not worth money at all but if u insist
Newegg.com - VisionTek 900250 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
ram- Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1100 (PC2 8800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
psu- Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
cpu cooler- Newegg.com - Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks or ocz vendetta 2 (i prefer ultra 120 extreme myself) also get this with tx-2 thermal paste

case etc is matter of choice but the nzxt tempest might be in ur interest its a great case. with the hdd im not sure how much you want but stick with either WD or seagate.
thats about $1,100 without case and cd drive,hdd but that gives you plenty of headroom, that extreme cpu is good(not for price vs performace though), but after your q9550 is overclocked itll be faster than one of those at stock.

also dont worry about building the computer its easy, we will help you along the way if you need any help thats what we are here for.

WoW i read that build and felt sick.

The price tag almost made me hurl.

Please for the love of all that is good, do not buy that rig. Baron's rig is great and all you will need and if you feel like you want to spend the extra money then go for the 4870x2 instead of the single one, but you really won't need it unless gaming on a 42" monitor.

The reason that Alienware build is bad is because it is maybe $4000 overpriced, honestly it's a bunch of plastic and you won't ever need the stuff they have listed (1600mhz ram). Computers have a limit of performance in which games will not need the most expensive components to run the games, even at full settings. If you buying a rig like the Alienware, you will notice that down the line the performance will drop because the games will become more advanced and the fact that you have super high end components will mean nothing because they will be outdated. It's better to build a rig that can handle games at a high level, but not to the point where they cost $7000 and will become outdated in 3-5 years.

Edit: BTW 1,337 post!

If you're at a point in your life where money will never be an issue and you never have to work an other day in your life, go ahead and buy that.

If you're too afraid to build it yourself, at least go to cyberpowerpc or ibuypower
Also... you're gonna spend $7k and not have dual monitors?

That build costs more than my first 2 cars combined :( I probably have one of the most powerful systems on the forums right now, and including my watercooling and case spent less than 2500 bucks on it.

Also, wtf, quad crossfire for a 22" monitor? Thats just idiotic. A single 4870x2 is more than enough even for a 24" monitor.
That cpu alone has a retail of around 1500 bucks, thats where they are getting you.

Use the build baron linked, and buy 2 30" monitors with the money you save :)

wow guys, after reading your comments I feel like a total noob :(. But seriously thank you so much for giving me this feedback. I always thought that things that are expensive with computers last a long time. All of your comments are greatly appreciated. I just wanted to say these two things that I really want.

1) Superior Gaming Machine
2) This computer can outlast games for maybe 8 years or so. Like if any future games within an 8 year radius comes out, I wish that my computer handle it. Will Baron's build be able to do this..

Also if not, baron or any of you can you give me a good rig like that please.

-Thank you very much you have no idea how much you saved me :)

you cant build a computer that will out last things 8 years in the future... let alone maybe 5 but you can build it smart so you can just upgrade slowly over time and keep up with the times... shoot me a pm and i can whip something up for you

ill shoot you a pm in about 20 min or so... gotta look some new stuff up its been a while since i have been here so yea.... do that and get back to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom