Windows Laptop under $1900 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I decided to put in $1900 for my college laptop. What are some good websites / vendors to buy a very good laptop of this price? Is putting in 1900 a high-end or a mid laptop?

Laptop will be used for multimedia and gaming and of course school work.

It will be higher end. I would say budget would be 600-1000, mid range would be 1000-1600 and anything above that will be top of line.

I have always loved HP laptops, still have mine from 4 years ago - and as my time as a computer tech i've had far fewer service calls on HP compared to Sony and Dell (the most).

I've also read (not experienced) that Acer has some really nice laptops.

Keep in mind 9 pounds is very heavy for a desktop... i mean laptop. Mine is the 17'' monitor too, it is a beast. So just remember you won't have much battery life and it will be relatively heavy. If it is staying in the dorm room then this is a good buy, if you want to carry this everywhere with you i think you should rethink your purchase.

Just throwing my $.02 in here... I would pick up a $600-$700 laptop mainly for school work and some mild gaming/multimedia and then put the other $1200 towards a desktop. You can build a beastly rig for that much that would be able to run anything on the market and probably most games for the next few years.

Plus, gaming on a laptop sucks... Horrible battery life and you better be wearing some thick jeans if you ever actually set it on your lap as those suckers get extremely hot.

Just throwing my $.02 in here... I would pick up a $600-$700 laptop mainly for school work and some mild gaming/multimedia and then put the other $1200 towards a desktop. You can build a beastly rig for that much that would be able to run anything on the market and probably most games for the next few years.

Plus, gaming on a laptop sucks... Horrible battery life and you better be wearing some thick jeans if you ever actually set it on your lap as those suckers get extremely hot.
Agree 100%

My argument to that is that I would only be using one or the other. I mean if you have a laptop, you'd only be using the laptop when in class or when in your dorms or the cafe or something.

I got a Pavilion dv9700t. It has a really fast 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, a nice 17" screen, optional second hard drive (not installed yet though), 3GB RAM, a fairly capable GPU (8600M GS, not the best out there but good enough for most games short of Crysis). I like the design of this laptop. I take it everywhere, if you have a good carrying backpack or bag, it won't be a problem. I have a backpack because you can carry all kinds of stuff in it (got it from HP), it is designed to fit up to 17" laptops. I don't see why people advocate little laptops so much if you're going to stick them in bags that could hold bigger models anyway. When I have just the laptop in the backpack, it feels really light, usually it's a bit heavy because I have my laptop, chemistry book, notebooks, etc. I like to use it to play games before class starts, but since the dv9700t is technically an "Entertainment PC" more than a gaming one, it handles video, music, and simpler tasks well. Plus, if you're not doing anything extreme, putting it in low power mode gets great battery life.

From my experience I think it is better to have a fast desktop for gaming and a small and light laptop to carry with you around campus. I have a 14' Compaq laptop that I take to class and I wouldn't want to carry anything much bigger. If I need a faster system I can always use my $600 gaming pc that is faster than laptops costing twice as much.

I think a small light laptop with good battery life (>4hrs) like the eeepc 1000h, Acer Aspire 1 (6 cell) and Dell Inspiron Mini 9 are perfect for college. All of those laptops are around $500 or less and you could spend the rest on a good gaming pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom