Vista Won't Wake From Sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zythyl

In Runtime
So I put vista to sleep, then turned it off at the power switch on the back of the case. I then proceeded to install new hardware... a new PSU, GPU, and sound card. I plugged it all back in and now it only goes to the lights turning on and the blank monitor screen... what the **** do I do I've tried cold booting like eight times now...

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tried putting the old hardware back in and trying it? Made sure everything is seated right? If you put the old hardware back in, and manage to get it to boot back up, to a proper shutdown this time.

no chance for proper shutdown as nothing responds...

tried putting old hardware back in and still no boot...

only thing i can put it down to is in my old psu there was a power plug on the mobo i didnt put in this time round... that is to say... i THINK i MAY need to put a 4-pin power cable into this slot in the mobo but my new PSU doesn't come with four pins, only six and eight pins :(

(i know what pins actually means but i cant remember name for what i'm trying to describe - hope you understand?)

Try reseting the Cmos.

Go into your case and on the motherboard there should be a round silver battery. Take it out for a moment (you should have to push a little bit of plastic and it will pop out) and tap the little silver things that touched the battery inside its holder with something metal (make sure that your power plug is out).

Place it back inside its little clip and try turning it back on.

Heres what it should look like: http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/images/cmos_battery.gif

Edit: This will reset all BIOS settings (Any overclocks or manual changes) back to default.

Correct, either take the CMOS battery out, or there may be a jumper that clears the CMOS. You've changed a great deal of hardware at once and the system won't recognize it, so you need to reset the CMOS so that all of the factory settings take place and the BIOS can recognize the new hardware.

ok i removed all new hardware and tried again... tells me that the system failed to boot and to enter the system disk into the drive. oh **** i'm scared

EDIT:
It says this:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER

and then it randomly shuts down... omg omg omg

Failed hard drive?

Sounds like it isn't recognizing the hard drive at all. Double check to ensure you have everything connected.

In the futhure ALWAYS backup your data before making any hardware changes to a system.

ok looks like the two hard drive cables were loose... pushed them in firmly and just restarted...

went to "Would you like to start windows:
- Normally?" etc...

then it shut down again... looks like something to do with power?

EDIT:
wire caught in CPU fan... think that is problem with shutdown to prevent CPU dmg... restarting soon

selected normal all system and user files intact.

proceeding with driver uninstall and new hardware install.

EDIT:
looks like everything is running fine. will post: [here] if anything happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom