24" Gaming Monitor for new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpknife

Solid State Member
Greetings,

I purchased a Samsung 245T from Tigerdirect. It is reported to be a high quality professional monitor. My concern is that the response time is 6ms and I want assurance or criticism of the caliber of this monitor. If there is a better HD 24" monitor that I should have purchased - be bold and say so. If my Samsung was a wise choice please bolster my confidence and let me know.

The new system currently being built:

Cyberpower Gamer Ultimate SLI Quad with:
Coolermaster Cosmos S Gaming tower with transparent side
12" Cold Cathode Neon Light - Green
3 Extra Cooling Fans
Quad Core Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 3.2Ghz 1600FSB 12MB L2 Cache
LG 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology
Round Cable Upgrade for Optical Drive
Free Halo2 Game
Vigor iSurf II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System
Internal 12 in 1 Flash Media REader/Writer
Asetek Liquid Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance & Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
Free Age of Conan Game
Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
[Extreme Performance (Raid-0) with 2 identical Hard Drives (300GB (150x2) Gaming Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB CAche WD1500HLFS)]
1TB SATA-II 3.0 Gb/s 32MB CAche 7200RPM Hard Drive
[(3-way SLI & QX9650/9770 Support) Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i SLI Mainboard FSB1600 DDR3 3 x PCIe X16 SATA RAID with usb2.0, IEEE1394, & 7.1 Audio]
Memory 4GB ddr3/1800Mhz Corsair OCZ PLatinum
Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (32 Bit Edition)
Professional Wiring for all wiring within case with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU
1200 Watt Thermaltake ToughPower Power Supply
Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro 24-Bit PCI Sound Card
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Configuration Speakers System with Control
NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum High Performance Fan Control, Clock, & Temperature Display
NVIDEA GeForce Dual (GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express) in SLI Configuration
Standard Warranty 3 Year Plus 24/7 Life Time Technical Support

When more 64 bit PC games are available I have the room to add 4GB of memory for a total of 8MB. I also would have to upgrade to 64 bit windows Ultimate Vista.

I ask that you review the PC system and let me know if the Samsung 245T is up to the task of gaming and video editing.

Thank You,

"NVIDEA GeForce Dual (GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express) in SLI Configuration"

with a 32 bit OS, dude YOU HAVE MESSED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32bit can only see 3.2-3.5gb of memory. with only 3.5gb of memory minus 2gb for the video cards...that's 3.5-2.0gb....that's only 1.5gb of RAM to be able to use....

i HIGHLY recommend you have a 64bit OS NOW

There is still time to update memory to 8GB and change to 64 bit. However, Can I play 32 bit games if my OS is 64 bit?

Quick warning, lots AND LOTS OF GAMES did not work with vista 64 bit, Well mostly 1 year old games.

Just keep that in my mind...... It brought me lots of issues down the road.

And as for the 6ms slowing you down lol... you must be crazy....

The eye cannot even perceive the difference. So you did a good buy I guess... not sure how much you payed.

wafflehammer,

Just got off the phone with Cyberpower and was assured that the NVIDEA GeForce Dual (GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express) in SLI Configuration" have their own memory and run on that. They do not use the 4GB of memory I purchased. The 4GB is for OS and Software applications. two different people at cyberpower confirmed that GTX280 videocards have their own memory built into the card to run the card. I am going to look that up at the NVIDEA site as soon as I finish this up.

Thanks,

sharpknife

Thank you RicOh for putting my mind at ease concerning the monitor. It was pricey but they gave me a discount and threw in a free HDMI to DVI 6' cable as well as 10 DVD+-RW discs.

I believe I bargained the deal quite nicely.

wafflehammer,

Just got off the phone with Cyberpower and was assured that the NVIDEA GeForce Dual (GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express) in SLI Configuration" have their own memory and run on that. They do not use the 4GB of memory I purchased. The 4GB is for OS and Software applications. two different people at cyberpower confirmed that GTX280 videocards have their own memory built into the card to run the card. I am going to look that up at the NVIDEA site as soon as I finish this up.

Thanks,

sharpknife

they use their own memory...but windows can only see a total of 3.5gb...and if your cards use 2gb you can only have 1.5gb of RAM to use.........

If thats the case I'll remove one card, wait until there are more 64 bit games available and then make all the necessary upgrades for 64 bit and re-install the card.

Sound like a decent short term cure?

Personally I would just get 64bit Vista. I have never had a problem with any of my games including Red Alert 2 which is nearly 8 years old. I don't know what games have issue with 64bit but I would bet they would have a problem with Vista to so it wouldn't really matter. Plus even if you remove one card you would still only get about 2.5gb of your 4gb ram.

P.S. That computer is way over the top and if your going to spend that much you may just want to wait for Nehalem. They say gaming performance isn't much more but everything else is suppose to be a huge increase, and the gaming performance may increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom