Video card questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I am building another machine and want to swap video cards. The newer machine is just for certain things and I want to take the video card I have from my other machine I built in Dec. and put it in my newer machine because my older machine is for more heavy duty things. It is a 7900 GS PCIe and the new board will have PCIe 2.0. Will that work in this board? If so, what would be a good card to use for my board now that is the old standard PCIe under $125? Will the new 2.0 standard work in my board or is it best to look for a card that is of the old standard 1.1? The new card will be running a 24" 1900x1200 monitor.

The old machine is only an office computer to use quickbooks, office etc. plus some internet. Nothing big is needed.
The old computer has a Q6600 oc to 2.8 and has the 24" monitor. It is only 8 months old so old is probably not a good word. I do a lot of video editing with this computer.

ok, but if you are looking for a card less than 125 bones, that 8800gt is the best. (that i could find on short notice).
reading your post confuses me, so...in short...
put the 8800gt into the machine that you need more graphics power.

Disregard PCI-E 2.0. it does not matter, they are backwards compatible. PCI-E 2.0 will work on PCI-E 1.1 and vice versa. There is only a small performance gain from 1.1 to 2.0 also.

ok, but if you are looking for a card less than 125 bones, that 8800gt is the best. (that i could find on short notice).
reading your post confuses me, so...in short...
put the 8800gt into the machine that you need more graphics power.
I know, but looking at the choices I like the more expensive ones so I changed my mind. I can go more but was being a little tight.

How important are the stream processors?
The visiontek 4850 has 800 where many of the GTX and + have only 112.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom