Motherboard Driver(s)? HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright you tried a system restore with no luck. You updated your chipset drivers with no luck. Have you scanned for viruses and spyware? Check out our guide and go through that.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-8-18-2008-a-165828/

Other than that i would say check for updates to XP. SP3 is out. It is not as bad as people say either. What software do you have set to run on boot?

Start>Run>msconfig>startup tab

Check that and make sure you dont ahve anyting in there that you dont know about or want to boot up. Also while there check under the services tab. Check the box at the bottom to hide the Microsoft services and see what is left. Remove any that you do not need on a constant basis. Things like Adobe have several services that start for no reason.

If that still doesnt get you anywhere. Try a inplace upgrade also known as a Repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Is McAfee decent? It's not on my startup list, so I don't know how to stop it from loading to run just AVG per the spyware guide. If it's junk I'll remove it, but if it's decent (other than taking all night to scan) I'll keep it. I also run SpyBot SD regularly & use their "TeaTimer". I've heard this is a really decent program - any thoughts? I've used McAfee & SpyBot since Day 1 so I'm pretty sure I'm spyware & virus free, but I'll run the others anyway to be sure.

I've got all Microsoft updates installed, including SP3 (none seemed to cause new issues). Is there a good Services list somewhere to help me identify things I don't recognize?

BTW, the chipset drivers did help - they fixed my USB issue and it seemed to make it run a bit quicker, they just didn't fix this power-down issue...

McAfee is one of the worst. Norton is the only thing worse than McAfee. Start>Run>msconfig. Uncheck McAfee and all things realted to it under services and startup.

McAfee is one of the worst. Norton is the only thing worse than McAfee. Start>Run>msconfig. Uncheck McAfee and all things realted to it under services and startup.
I'm glad I asked - that's good to know! I'm a little stumped though because I have nothing related to McAfee checked in my start-up list - I guess it doesn't matter if I'm uninstalling it completely tonight.

Is it okay to just use the free version of AVG if I have SpyBot running too? Money's tight, which is why I was using McAfee to start with (free from Comcast). Is SpyBot good for keeping spyware out or should I use something else with it or in place of it?

Yes you can use AVG with Spybot. Spybot is alright. There is no real spywaer software out there that keeps it all out. But Spybot does a good job. Usually people say Spybot with AdAware is a good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom