how do I eliminate a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished doing a check disk. I have not gone through the manual as i am not able to get as far as connecting to the internet.

can i download it onto a disk and then install onto my laptop and run it in safe mode?

If you mean HiJackThis yes you can.

In order for the program to detect everything that is running though, you have to run it in normal mode not safe mode.

Okay if you cant connect to the internet how did you post that message? Use that PC to get the tools needed. Then transfer them to the infected PC.

Yes i have tried going through the manuals but im still not able to cruise around my desktop. It freezes all the time. I managed to get a xp cd.

If i go onto normal mode, thats when it freezes. If i go into safe mode i am able to access everything.

Then do this stuff from Safe Mode. Please stop multiposting. There is a edit button please use it.

Use Safe Mode with networking. That will allow you access to the internet so that you can get updates and use the tools.

cvb724 The XP I got is XP Professional and the version Im running is Xp Home media edition. Will it matter if they are different. I don't mind reverting or loosing any of the home edition software or tools. Can I not just install XP over Media edition? Or would that not be a good idea? :confused:

Mak213 I tried last night to go onto the web to download the updates and antivirus's however, I must not have it set right because it will not allow me to connect to local networks. I went into network connections and local networks is enabled. I use an ethernet connection to my laptop, which is plugged into a router in another room.

If you plan on doing a repair install you need the same version. If you just plan on reformatting and installing a new version of Windows then the CD you have is fine.

Go onto the internet using the computer you're posting these messages with. Download HiJackThis and put it onto a CD or USB flash drive. Install it on the laptop with the problems. Run it and save the log onto the flash drive and post it on these forums.

Its all done now. I wasn't able to do a complete reinstall with the versions being incompatible. So I decided to try the restore system on an earlier date than the two i tried before. After this was done it worked perfectly. My brother Gave me security software he had bought "Kaspersky Internet Security. I scanned critical areas and ran the software. The error it come back with was "error - not a virus, Malware" Removed the virus and presto with all of your help I am now able to run my computer and keep it safe from internet nasty's.

Thank you all once again.

Ps. the malware came from something my ex house mate downloaded on my laptop called "registry fix" Deleted it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom