Highlandcomp

Baseband Member
A client of me have a computer with XP pro, Pentium III loaded with
couple of custom software. Now they don't have the installation
or anything of these custom software. They would like to get a brand new
machine. But the problem is how to setup this custom softwares
to the new machine. The vendors of the software are no more
in business. Due to financial reasons the client would like
to keep this programs for another couple of years.

Now my question, is there a way to transfer the whole system
to a the new PC. If I take the existing hard drive from the PIII
machine and plug it in a brand new machine would it work? I'm pretty
sure it won't. Please let me know whats the best way to do this.

thx
Sam.

Could always just put the old HDD into the new machine, remove the new HDD (or just unplug it till they're ready to use it), and perform a repair install on the XP Pro install.

Thanks for replying guys.
KurrentEweser :
The existing system is DELL Dimension 2400. So I guess its an OEM version of XP?
thanks.

Does the repair process remove registry entries and make them not
working? I remember like I have to reinstall pretty much all third party software
after I repair the OS installation. I might be wrong.

Could always just put the old HDD into the new machine, remove the new HDD (or just unplug it till they're ready to use it), and perform a repair install on the XP Pro install.

Does the repair process remove registry entries and make them not
working?

No it does not. A repair install only replaces Windows files and redoes teh hardware configuration. Will need the Serial in order to do it. But you can not transfer a OEM license that way. Technically it would break the EULA of Windows to do this act. But in reality this is your only option. As taking a HDD from a PIII and putting it in a new computer will cause it to cease up. It will need a Repair install RIGHT AWAY. Do NOT try to boot Windows. You could cause it to become corrupt.

You should clone hard drive before doing anything. Some software can be treated as portable. Which means the software's folders can be copied over to another computer and run with no consequence. In some cases registry key(s) can be exported and then imported to restore saved settings. I think there might software to do this kind of thing. Some software is so imbedded into the OS that reinstalling is the only thing to do.

I remember in the Win98 days all I had to do was remove all drivers and let Windows use the basic generic drivers it used on a fresh install. Then replace the motherboard and let Windows redetect the hardware. With XP, it will deactivate itself and may not like all the hardware changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom