need help with cd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I thought I made a topic about this a while back but I can not find it. If it still exists, this can be merged into that one.

Anyways, my dad has a Dell 2400 desktop that has 2 cd drives and 2 hard drives(don't know if the hard drives matter). A while back one of the drives started opening and closing constantly by itself. It gets very annoying. Since he doesn't use them all the time, I just unplugged them. He needed to use them so I plugged them back in but now they don't work. They worked before I unplugged them. Was that a mistake leaving them unplugged for a while? Is that a no no?

They still open and close but Windows does not recognize them and every time he turns the computer on, he has to hit f1. It says drive 0 and drive 1 not found. I tried another drive that I had laying around and it still didn't work unless that one is messed up. I don't think it is the drives since both of them don't work. I think it has to do with the jumpers. I have put them in different slots and still no luck. What slots do they need to be on? Does having two hard drives make a difference? I hate to buy new drives if these are still good.

Not sure of the setup, but this is what i would recommend you setting up the system as.

Put both of the hard drives on the primary controller (probably blue). Put the one with your OS on the end of the chain and make sure the jumper is set to master. Place the other drive in the middle and set that jumper to slave.

Next place both CD drives on their own controller (slave). Next go into the bios screen and ensure that the bios recognizes all of the drives (HD and CD). You may need to allow the bios to auto detect your CD drives. You should be able to click 'auto select' or something similar and then your CD drive should appear with the name like Samsung XXXXX. If it still doesn't recognize the CD drives your IDE cable may be bad, the controller on the MB may be bad, or you may just need to install the proper drivers.

See if that helps.

Have you bothered to update the firmware on them since you ought the PC?

No I don't think I have. How could I do that now since they are not showing up anywhere? I can't find the drivers for it either.

Do you have any information about the system in question? Like the original build order or packing slip or anything? Something that we can go off of to try and find teh make and model of the drivers? If not you might be stuck just buying new ones.

One of the drives is a Samsung CD-Master 48E Model SC-148 and the other is a Samsung Model SW-252. I have looked on Dell's website and looked for the drivers for this machine and could not find it. I also went to Samsung's website and could not find them unless I am blind.

I am thinking it has to do with the jumpers.

Lexluthar, what do you mean primary controller?

Thanks for the help.

Well since you said you have jumpers, i was assuming the drives are all IDE, because SATA does not have jumpers.

There are two controllers on the motherboard, one is the primary and the other is secondary. The primary is usually blue.

Could I affect the Windows installation or the data on the hard drives by messing with the jumpers? Just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom