8600m(256mb) Vs. 8700m(512mb) Worth the Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I didn't I just said that would start buying laptops if they became more customizable and their pricing was fair. But I never said I would buy one for gaming, ever.

The 8700m is obviously the better choice but it all depends on how much the 8600m is priced.

Why don't you tell him the truth. He is wasting his money. BUT....I know we are supposed to be helpful here.

Spend the extra $150, maybe you can play some current games on medium settings. But don't come back and complain when it doesn't run anything in 6 months to a year from now.

what's the best laptop card out right now? i know theres the 9600?

Wikipedia has the 9800M GTX listed under mobile GPUs.

The thing with the 8600M and 8700M is that they are 91.2 and 120 Gigaflops. And 8600GTS is better than both of those and I had that.....lets see.....4 cards ago? Yeah.

HATED IT. It was pathetic.

Are you kidding me?! dhgunit I told you what I am trying to do and to be honest Why I am choosing a laptop is irrelevant and really none of your concern.

If you must know it is for school.

Are you kidding me?! dhgunit I told you what I am trying to do and to be honest Why I am choosing a laptop is irrelevant and really none of your concern.

You put in your original post that it was for gaming... so you jsut contradicted yourself and making yourself look inconsiderate. He was simply telling you whether it was good or not.. and in his perspective they both suck. Make sense?

Well, I don't feel comfortable recommending something I don't believe is worth spending a penny on. Sorry.

I do this for a living (Assistive Listening Devices, Hearing Aids). If I recommend something I know won't work for a patient, I have a big mess on my hands. Why should I recommend something I know won't work on here?

You need it for school? You need to play Call of Duty in the classroom? NO!!

Buy a used laptop for $250 that has wordpad and firefox on it. Take the rest of the money you were going to waste on a laptop and build a real machine.

You won't be back here in 6 months telling me what an idiot I am for recommending those POS GPUs for gaming.

Well, I don't feel comfortable recommending something I don't believe is worth spending a penny on. Sorry.

You need it for school? You need to play Call of Duty in the classroom? NO!!

Buy a used laptop for $250 that has wordpad and firefox on it. Take the rest of the money you were going to waste on a laptop and build a real machine.

You won't be back here in 6 months telling me what an idiot I am for recommending those POS GPUs for gaming.

^^He put everything into perspective. The only thing laptops are good for is browsing and maybe for some media. But other then media and browsing laptops aren't worth spending an extra dime on.

You put in your original post that it was for gaming... so you jsut contradicted yourself and making yourself look inconsiderate. He was simply telling you whether it was good or not.. and in his perspective they both suck. Make sense?

I simply asked whether the difference in Graphics performance would be worth $150, I did not ask whether he thought I should get a laptop, or not I did not ask for any recomendation, I only want to know if the difference in graphics performance is worth $150 between an 8600m and a 8700m.

Also I have a perfectly good PC that score 15k on 3dmark.

I simply asked whether the difference in Graphics performance would be worth $150, I did not ask whether he thought I should get a laptop, or not I did not ask for any recomendation, I only want to know if the difference in graphics performance is worth $150 between an 8600m and a 8700m.

Also I have a perfectly good PC that score 15k on 3dmark.

Then the answer is no.

*EDIT* Actually, now I have another question for you. Why do you need a gaming laptop that will be 1/4 as good as your "15k" PC?

There is a very good laptop for gaming for a good price, with a decent gpu..the 8800M GTS 512, its on par with a desktop 9600GT 512:

Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - P-6860FX

This sucker scores 7K in 3dmark06 with the relatively weak 1.8ghz dual core. But the cpu is user upgradeable, throw a 2.5ghz cpu in there and it should be pretty close to 10k.

Just as a ref, a desktop with an 8800GT and a 1.6ghz dual core scores just under 7K in 3dmark06.

And the screen res is 1440x900, so it makes it very capable of maxing of out all games out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom