Should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need a full tower???? That all depends on your preference.. Do you have room for one is the real question.. lol some of them are huge... My Thermaltake Armor+ is a gigantasarous.... If you wait you will have ample time to save for a nahalem... It's not like they are going to cost 500$! well i guess some are, but the one everyone is going to buy is going to cost 275$. Which is affordable if you don't think about the memory and mb you will need to buy in order for it to work, but thats besides the point...

Nehalem is out of my price range unfortunately. So I'd probably more likely to buy an intel quad core. Do you think I need a full tower, right now I have a mid, and with my aftermarket cpu cooler it is cramped, I can't imagine trying to fit these new gpus in there now. so for a q6600 and a p35, about about would that run?

A full tower is nice but not necessary. Its totally up to you. In the recommended hardware guide we have many cases also listed.

P45s aren't that much more and they are a good improvement over the p35, so you might want to look into them. Two popular P45s are

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

and if you don't have the cash for that

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

then get this one.

The cost of the cpu, mobo, and ram would just be too much. not to mention I need an apparent cpu upgrade. I would spend 150 on a motherboard, about 100 on a cpu at most. I think I should be able to use the ram I have it's pretty decent. Then another 200 or so on the gpu. I have an Asus board now, so it'd be nice to stick with them, though I am an nvidia fanboy and would like to try sli so that might not work.

I'm not an expert on motherboards, and I've heard about a lot of them having problems, so I wouldn't be confident choosing my own again.

No way. The pentium brand has been switch to Intel's low end dual cores. They have nothing in common with the Pentium 4 or the Pentium D. The e5200 will easily out run your 4000+.

If I do upgrade though I'd want significantly better performance, I'd probably go with a core 2 duo.

If I do upgrade though I'd want significantly better performance, I'd probably go with a core 2 duo.

Pentium Dual Core's are Core 2 Duo's with less cache. The E5200 uses the same wolfdale core as the e7x00 ad E8x00 Core 2 Duo's. It also has a higher multiplier and lower fsb than the other wolfdales so it is easier to overclock. A E5200 is significantly faster than your current cpu.

wow, learn something new everyday. how much better is the core 2 duo than a pentium dual core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom