how do I eliminate a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss.need.to.know

Solid State Member
My laptop crashed just a few days ago. I couldn't get it to load windows. I had to call out a mobile technician who fixed the problem of my laptop not loading windows. But now every time i load windows it will crash after loading up my desktop. I rang the technician up for some support, but got a cold response that it would cost me over $250 to eliminate a virus after reloading windows and backing up my data. My question is how do i this and whats involved.

Any suggestions much appreciated

It might not even be a virus. Have to determine what the problem is first before we can help you fix it. Need to know which version of Windows you're running too. First go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Go to the System portion and check for any errors around the time that it last crashed.

Also if a blue screen appears after it crashes, post what the screen says on here.

Thank you for your reply.

I am unable to access my desktop, this is the moment it freezes and i have to manually switch the laptop off.

I am running windows xp home edition, service pack 2

sorry its the media center edition, version 2002

Just checked inside system portion and there are loads of errors, most being sourced from disk and DCOM

unfortunately i don't have the XP Media Center CD....

DCOM doesn't affect Windows crashing. When you open one of the disk errors what does it say? It should give a blue link as well that you can click on to see a more detailed description of what you can do to fix the problem.

Have you ever used System Restore?? If you know that you have restore points created on your computer, and you have a bootable disk, then you should be able to run a system restore to set your computer back to a previous state hopefully pre virus...

I would say if you can get your hands on a Windows XP cd/dvd from a family or friend you would be able to run the Windows recovery console. If not possible see if you can get a hold of or create a boot up disk to at least get you started.

@skylinegtrv98: I have never used system restore from a boot disk. Could you provide us with more details as to how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom