Need advice on my new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkbar

In Runtime
Hey guys and gals,

I am working on piecing together new hardware components for my new build. Here is what I have come up with so far. Please try and give feedback on these products.

CPU- Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
HD- Newegg.com - 10000 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, Internal Hard Drives, Hard Drives, Computer Hardware (not sure if I should go with 300 or 150 gig for the money)
GPU - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
cd/dvd drive- Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
Mobo- Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Memory- Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Already have 680w Thermaltake PSU and older Thermaltake case

I am just looking for some input once again on these products and their combination. If you could suggest a better component for my uses it will be well appreciated.

My computer usage:
Play numerous FPS games (CS:Source mainly)
Some video editing
Looking for a very fast and speedy computer to browse and load at blazing speeds, not necessarily on-line as that would involve my isp.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN:D

Don't get the veloociraptor like everyone here will say.. you will NOT see much of a difference from a wd 640gb... well atleast not enough to make it worth it.Soo... Here's a build i'd recommend:
HDD: Western Digital 640GB
GPU: Radeon 4870
RAM: Yours is good
CD-DRIVE:Yours is good
MB: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Well... you can get the E8500 which right now is the best cpu for gaming or you could get a q9550, which is one of the better multi-tasking cpus.. it's a toss up on which you want. I recommend the 9550 for future applications/games.

I really like nvidia gpu's do you think mine is good instead of the radeon 4870. Also, as far as the cpu and mobo, they dont match up... The mobo you gave (Asus psq pro) is lga 775 while the cpu is am2+ socket. I would be willing to search for new parts for the cpu if it is truely better than then intel chip i had but do you think there will be a honest difference?

That looks like a solid dual core cpu but I was looking to have this build for quite sometime and was looking to get a quad core. Anything else you would recommend then, or would the one I selected be okay. Also, I would be okay using AMD as I have actually used them on my desktops for the past 8 years.

I'd go with the Q6600 if you'll be overclocking and the Q9550 if you decide not to. If you're going to be doing some hardcore gaming I'd suggest the E8500 instead as you will get more performance with games than the Q6600.

The RAM you chose is intense and I wouldn't even think about changing it unless you want to upgrade to the DDR2 1066 (PC 8500) version, which I'll be buying very soon.

Direct x seems to upgrade/change soon so I'd maybe suggest a cheaper card that will suffice all the games. You'll save some money for when you'll have to upgrade your card because the direct x is outdated. But honestly, the video card you picked out is nice.

You guys seem to like the E8500, I was trying to get a good quad-core though. Any suggestions besides the q9550 as the price difference is double that of the q6600 and you really don't get that significant of a change in speed, or at least noticeably.

E8500 is the best cpu right now for gaming bottom line.
q6600 is a nice cpu, but don't expect to get outrageous clocks on them, but 3.6 should be achievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom