Help with my new rig concerning OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukeman8

Baseband Member
Just in the process of buying my new pc bit by bit week by week.
So far have the q6600 (yes i won the auction off ebay :happy:)

However after reading around the forums i find out that some motherboards
are better for overclocking on and overclocking is definitely something i will be doing.

So heres my current setup, Is the motherboard listed any good for OC or suggestions for a better 1 but still compatible with the rest of the setup?

Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 Stepping
Noctua NH-U12P Quiet CPU Cooler
Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 Socket 775 DDR2 Motherboard
Radeon HD 4870
Corsair 4GB 2x 2GB PC8500 Dual Channel DDR2 XMS-2-8500 Dominator TwinX
Corsair PSU 750W
Antec 900
750 GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS Caviar Blue, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms
LG GH20NS15 SATA Black 20xDVD RW oem
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface

Price isnt an issue as im buying it as and when i have cash
o and feel free to suggest replacements for the rest of the set up
barring the processor and graphics.

The motherboard you listed is a top of the range motherboard so you will have no worries when overclocking, although i heard the northbridge chips get hot on them so you might wanna invest in an aftermarket cooler, although you should wait until a more experienced person replys to the topic.

thanks for the reply
sorry for sounding thick but after market cooler for the motherboard? didnt know you could get coolers for the mobo. or am i missing the point?

ok i seriously must of missed something
as i understand it aftermarket cooler is basically a cooler brought that didnt come with the CPU which i lised Noctua NH-U12P Quiet CPU Cooler
Which is an aftermarket cooler right?

Yep.

You could probably get a different/better cooler, but i myself was looking at the Noctua coolers a while back and they are pretty good and a bit overlooked.

You don't need a 7.1 sound card unless your hooking up a big speaker system, onboard is fine or you can go with 5.1. If you really have the money then Meh.

already have a wicked sound system from my current pc so a decent sound card is a must as i love me music. Plus it be one of the last things i will get and will have time to save up for it.
as regards to the cooler yeah apparently it gets overlooked alot and its a pretty good cooler.

Ok ok lol the ram is overpriced, any recommendations on a new pair?
i rather not go for slower ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom