Tracking a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Plus3

Beta member
Hi All,

IÂ’ve been playing online poker for a while. Recently my roommate decided she wanted to try playing as well so she tried signing up. She was using my computer (she doesnÂ’t have one) and she got blocked, with a notification saying that it detected we already had an account on their network and that she wasnÂ’t allowed to create another account. We thought that the poker site was blocking more than one account from playing on the same IP so we reset the IP by redialing into our ISP. For good measure, we also cleared all our cookies and temporary Internet files and re-installed the poker software. When she tried signing up again she still got blocked and got the same message saying that she canÂ’t create an account. I thought maybe the poker client was creating some hidden file or something so did a search but nothing suspicious came up with that either.

So the question I want to pose is: can poker sites keep track of MAC addresses or other hardware info from our network cards or modems either directly or from the packets sent? If not, how do they know that it is my computer trying to create another account? Right now I have no other explanation of how they are able to identify my computer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

don't you keep your IP address no matter how many times you dial into your ISP? I thought you could not get rid of your computer's IP address. What does "restetting" your IP do? I don't think it really changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom