Upgrading from 4 to 8 gigs DDR but 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittencorpse

Beta member
Ok, i have a question.
Currently im running a ADM phenom X4 processor.
I know these support 32 and 64bit PC's
and my motherboard supports 8 gigs on a 64 bit system.
Now here is the question i have:
To basicly use the 8 gigs of DDR2, do i need to have a 64 bit OS, or can i just run 8 gigs of DDR2 on a 32 bit OS?

you need a 64-bit OS

Just out of curiosity, what do you run that requires so much RAM?

*edit*
there are 4 basic 64-bit Windows OS's (some of them have different sub-versions)
Server 2003 x64 edition
XP x64 edition (what I use)
Server 2008 64-bit
Vista 64-bit

Well to be honest with you.
I usually run multiple games and programs while im doing all sorts of diffrent stuff.
4 gigs doesnt cut it when i play lets say second life, and world of warcraft at the same time.
let alone use photoshop in the meantime.

Well to be honest with you.
I usually run multiple games and programs while im doing all sorts of diffrent stuff.
4 gigs doesnt cut it when i play lets say second life, and world of warcraft at the same time.
let alone use photoshop in the meantime.
If you do that much, then 8GB would probably be a good idea.

It's also a good idea to try and use as little paging file as possible (preferrably none)

*edit*
Phenom processors can run DDR2-1066, also (though some motherboards can be a bit difficult getting it to work at that speed)

Why were you running 4 gigs with 32 bit anyway, all those bugs people say 64bit have with games and apps are pretty much ironed out. You should have got 64 bit from ages ago.

I commend you on playing second life and world of warcraft at the same time, let alone trying to photoshop something in the process. Impressive to say the least in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom