About to buy a computer, need some last minute advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice_snuff

Baseband Member
I'm thinking of getting this. With the grpahics card upgraded from a 256mb 8400GS to a 512mb ATi 4850. The total comes up to £840. Any thoughts?

that's about 1680 USD, which is kind of expensive but it does come with a 22 LCD, and why do you need 8 GB of ram??? You might get similar spec computer if you build your own.

The computer is good but you could build it yourself for a lot cheaper.

Building is easy and straight forward, if you a really scared you could still get someone to build it for you but choose the parts yourself.

wow 8GB and a 8400GS... Your set for some hardcore gaming....
lol

imo.... this company is just a little money monger looking to maximize profits. With the price of memory nowadays, they probably have a huge surplus of memory, they pack every machine full of it and then hook you up with a 8400GS... And slap the name ELITE PRO on it.

wow 8GB and a 8400GS... Your set for some hardcore gaming....
lol

imo.... this company is just a little money monger looking to maximize profits. With the price of memory nowadays, they probably have a huge surplus of memory, they pack every machine full of it and then hook you up with a 8400GS... And slap the name ELITE PRO on it.

He said he is upgrading it to a HD4850.

I think 8GBs of RAM is overkill, even if you are doing video editing or lots of graphics work. I use a massive amount of graphics with photoshop, illustrator, 3ds max etc and I have never been near the limit with 4GBs.

I would get 4GBs of ram and use the extra money to get a HD4870 if I were you.

8gigs is overkill unless your going to be running a server and what MH said above me. 4 gigs is eh unless you get 64bit version of windows. if im not mistaken 32 bit only recognizes 3.2 gigs

8gigs is overkill unless your going to be running a server and what MH said above me. 4 gigs is eh unless you get 64bit version of windows. if im not mistaken 32 bit only recognizes 3.2 gigs

the link shows it as 64 bit. Its still useless, though, as i would be fairly interested to see something use that much ram... or more than half of it...

He said he is upgrading it to a HD4850.

I think 8GBs of RAM is overkill, even if you are doing video editing or lots of graphics work. I use a massive amount of graphics with photoshop, illustrator, 3ds max etc and I have never been near the limit with 4GBs.

I would get 4GBs of ram and use the extra money to get a HD4870 if I were you.

but still..... it is a ripoff. I know he was changing the GPU.

I would not pay that much for a computer just to turn around and upgrade the GPU...
think about it.

Not worth it.. Way overpriced...IMO Don't do it. There is no point to buy a brand new computer and than having to shovel out more money to replace a part in it..
I can almost bet you now someone who knows how to build a computer, because it's really easy unless you encounter a problem than it gets irritating. So what I recommend is buying all your parts, and putting it together yourself, whether you need someones help or not. A lot of people who know how to build computers enjoy doing it so i'm sure if it's a friend they'll be glad to help.

but still..... it is a ripoff. I know he was changing the GPU.

I would not pay that much for a computer just to turn around and upgrade the GPU...
think about it.

Oh yeh, dont get me worng, I totally agree.

Mate, build your own comp. Its sooo much cheaper, its interesting, and everyone here will help you out if you have any probs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom