9800gtx+ or HD 4850/70?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 4850 really faster than the 9800gtx+? The 9800 has higher core speeds but less processing cores than the 4850.. is that what makes it faster?
It depends on how the shaders are designed.
the shaders from RV770 are not directly comparable to those on Nvidia cards, or even those on RV670 for that matter.

Holy crap, I just got the card.. It's friekin huge !!! Holy crud! its like, my leg long lol. And i thought my 9600gt was big LOL.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind if I buy another card at some point.

I won't bust on your purchase. Take comfort in the fact that the 9800gtx+ is still a great card and hardly is beaten by the 4850 at stock, and if you ever decide to fold you will be happy.

But I told you to get the 4850 *whistles*

All the research I've done shows the 9800GTX+ better than the 4850. There were a few games the 4850 did better but not many of the big games.

RV770 tends to scale better with AA
With the Catalyst 8.6 hotfix drivers at least, the 9800 GTX+ was about even with or slightly better in a few cases than 4850 with AA turned off. But with AA turned on, the 4850 is consistently in the lead
And the 4850 has more overclocking potential, aswell.
This may or may not be important to you, but ATI cards have DirectX 10.1 support aswell

Though historically newer ATI Catalyst drivers tend to increase performance more than Nvidia Forceware drivers

the 9800 GTX+ is a good card, but overall the 4850 is better.

Don't make him feel bad for his purchase

Just feel good in what you bought, it was right for you :]

Dude some of us are using some crap video cards. Just be grateful you have something that can get over 30 FPS in crysis on 1024 x 768. Mine can't even get over 15~25 FPS.

Yeah, I sent it back so Im buying another one, Im inbetween the 260 and 4870 now.

Decided i wana be future proof..

Thanks for the input everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom