Any major differences between OEM and retail processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukeman8

Baseband Member
Basically im currently bidding on a q6600 processor on ebay and just realised its OEM and not retail,
Is there any major disadvantages to OEM processors i should be aware of?
i know it doesnt come with anything including heat sink.
Which leads to my second question, anyone recommend a decent heatsink that will fit a q6600?

Xigmatek Rifle

OEM is fine... u don't want to use the hs that comes with it anyways, so no big deal

OEM Warranty: 30 days
Retail Warranty: 3 Years (or whatever manufacturer warranty is)

So from my view as a retailer, I always go with the retail version and just replace the heatsink. It's a $10 extra, but it's peace of mind to know that if the cpu fails, it is covered.

OEM Warranty: 30 days
Retail Warranty: 3 Years (or whatever manufacturer warranty is)

So from my view as a retailer, I always go with the retail version and just replace the heatsink. It's a $10 extra, but it's peace of mind to know that if the cpu fails, it is covered.

Dead on...

yeah u agree, unless your on extreme budget, then you could go with a oem, but its not much more anyway.

thanks for the comments, im not looking at a £10 difference more a £40 at the moment because its on ebay.
Its the only 1 on there with a decent batch number.
So the main concern is the warranty then.
Guess if i win it i saved a **** of alot if i dont im back on the hunt for another q6600 retail and with a decent batch number

I really wouldn't worry about a long time warranty anyways. If a CPU isn't going to work, it isn't going to work right away. The only way else for it to fail is if you stupidly don't put the heatsink on. Or if you overclock it to far which isn't under your warranty anyways.

So OEM is just fine if you already have a heatsink.

I really wouldn't worry about a long time warranty anyways. If a CPU isn't going to work, it isn't going to work right away. The only way else for it to fail is if you stupidly don't put the heatsink on. Or if you overclock it to far which isn't under your warranty anyways.

So OEM is just fine if you already have a heatsink.

100% agree. I allways buy OEM, I've never even heard of a cpu failing in anything other then record setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom