Windows XP Will Not Boot, Not Even In Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVERYTHING IS OK!!!:D

I can't believe it, but after all i've worried about in the past 48 hours, and being such a royal pain in the *** to all of you - do you want to know what happened?

To begin with, I must have been extremely lucky that the other machine did indeed use SATA technology, despite being built around 4 years ago.

So I hooked up my hard drive, started the machine, and the first thing I was greeted with was a Windows screen strongly recommending that I perform a consistency check on one of the drives. So of course I went ahead with it (syscheck) - it found and deleted/replaced several indexes. I then went on into Windows, accessed my data and everything seemed absolutely fine!

Of course, my first action was to copy EVERYTHING onto my external hard drive, but nontheless i'm getting the feeling the drive may actually be "repaired" and safe to use again.

I think this is along the lines of what Mak213 was saying earlier. Presumably, the problem was very small, but the files that were affected were so fundamental to Windows boot sequence that it failed completely - could that be the case?

I have yet to try it again on my own machine, but i'm guessing it will be fine. What's important is that I have everything successfully copied!

Now that your data is safe, run the recommended diagnostic utilities. Any signs of failure should show up in those tests.

Yes run SeaTools anyway now like Kurrent said. Windows only checks the disk for basic errors. Running the long test on SeaTools will check for anything and everything wrong with the drive. If it passes you are good to go!

I've bought a new hard drive (Western Digital Caviar 640GB), and should be ok to take it from here.

Thanks again for all the help! :D

I've bought a new hard drive (Western Digital Caviar 640GB), and should be ok to take it from here.

Thanks again for all the help! :D

A very wise move. :up_arrow: I recommend you get an external USB drive of about the same size and back up regularly. 640gb of data is a lot to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom