Can't detect sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderAC

In Runtime
I have just re-installed xp, but it doesn't seem to be able to detect my sound card. It is sitll plugged into the motherboard, but in device manager, it doesn't show the hardware. When i run the "dxdiag", in the sound tab, it doesn't detect anything either. Is this a driver issue or something wrong with the hardware? If it's the driver, it there anyway I can find out the model of the card so i can download the driver?

Thanks

Turn off Computer and place sound card in another PCI Slot.

Turn on computer.
If detected through device manager, install driver.

If not detected, try another PCI slot, if it is still not detected, try it in another computer, if it is still not detected, its probably dead and should be RMAed or replaced.

It can be a driver issue, but mostly it will be shown in the device manager with a red/yellow mark. Try switching the pci slots. Is there someting written on the sound card? Sometimes the model no will be marked.

Sam

Since it is not detected in Device Manager, having the drivers is useless. To save time, put the sound card on another PC and see if it detects it. The sound card should have a name and model on it. Look it up on Google and download the drivers for later use.

quick note, if you have recently updated bios or reset bios settings and have Onboard sound it sometimes conflicts with some sound cards making them not show up go to bios settings and disable on board sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom