computer keeps crashing and restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
To OC my cpu I have raised the FSB. It's originally an AMD X2 2.1ghz processor. with the FSB at 220mhz it has been OCed to 2.3ghz. This is stable. I bought an aftermarket cooler, so I can OC it more. I don't believe it's hot with this, I heard my cpu being brisbane gets misread on all the monitoring things, but on nvidia monitor it doesnt get hotter than 40C. but if I up the FSB to 230, only .1ghz more, then it crashes and restarts. Does anyone know why this is? And is there anything I can do?

what do u mean crashes, is it like a blue screen with white letters on it? also did u raise any of ur voltages on your OC?

It went to a blue screen with white letters onces, one time it went to a black screen with like some red splotches on it and froze there, other times it just restarts, lots of different stuff.

But no, I did not raise the voltages, in BIOS when I go to voltage it's set at "auto". I have different choices though, the highest being 1.325 or something like that I think.

u need to find the vid on your cpu and set it to that in ur bios, u can find it in coretemp, then in bios u should raise your cpu voltage if it gets unstable, also u might have to set your mb voltages also, try searching for some reviews or somthing on ur mb and get an idea of where ur mb voltages should be. also set your voltage for your ram, it should tell you what to set that at on the box your ram came in. or on the ocz website. also what are u doin when it crashes, playing games, idling.... also when i would never set things to auto in bios just because it will somtimes over or undervolt things, that kinda sounds like what your getting.

ahh all right that was really helpful I'll try some of that soon. In coretemp it shows it at 1.3250. Ill make sure I set it to that in bios, though I think that might be as high as I can set it anyways.

When it is crashing, it's after a little while in some intense gaming.

np, also make sure all ur drivers are up to date, i was getting some bluescreens from driver issues with games awhile back.

I changed the voltage from auto to 1.3250, which is the highest I can set it. So far I've done a lot of web searching, d/ling, music listening, and IMing, but no gaming on it. No crashes thus far, I will play a game soon and let you know what happens and troubleshoot from there.

you definitely should NOT need that much voltage to run a 300mhz overclock. set it to like 1.25-1.275 and start working your way up. thats wierd that you can only go that high with the voltage. thats not very much. are you sure there isnt some secret hidden menu that allows you to go higher than that?
i think on my 5000BE i may have had to give it 1.35~ to get 3.3ghz, but i cant really remember...

lower the voltage, run your ram under spec, and drop your HT multiplier to 3 or 4 <---that is very likely the reason it bsods.

I think my multiplier is at 10 or 10.5, can't go any higher because it's locked. After doing more tests, it still crashed when I raise the FSB to 230. So now I'm stuck back at 2.3 ghz, 220 mhz FSB. I'm a little new to some of this, the HT multiplier is the only thing that is the multiplier right? I don't want to adjust the wrong thing.

no, the multiplier you are talking about is the CPU multiplier.
the HT multiplier is going to be set at auto and it will be 5. it is what controls your hypertransport bus speed. think fsb, but not really. look around your bios for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom