Possible stupid Q... X4 vs X2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a few suggestions for the 4870 X2, but guess what, I saw noone ask what monitor he had.

The 4870 X2 is really only worth it if one has at least a 24' moniter, anything less and the moniter would be the bottleneck with low resolutions.

X2 does it's best work at 1920X1200 or higher with lots of AA.

3.4 to 4.0ghz is a big stretch... its a huge stretch actually..
Depends on the CPU. And in terms of performance, not really.

that sb whatever board is the only board that overclocks right??
No, SB600 overclocks too. It just doesn't overclock as high.
SB750 and I think maybe SB700 have a feature called Advanced Clock Calibration
you can pick up just about any p35 and take a quad to 3.6ghz....
SB750 or SB700 boards can be had cheap.
I know a lot of the 790GX boards (which have "only" two PCI-E 16X slots, and the worlds best onboard GPU) can be had for around $160
And there are some 780G boards that have a 5-phase power design and SB700's for about $100
every intel mid range board will take you to a high oc with a q series cpu
If you spend the same on a s775 board as you do on an AM2+ board, you'll probably be getting a better board with AM2+

in terms of clock speeds... and things that matter in life... unpacking, zipping, converting... the intel core 2 quads eat up the phenoms
Things that matter to who?
Though even in non-games, C2Q's are not always faster.
I know that RARing/unRARing is very fast on Phenom CPU's. Something I do a lot of.

[edit]I also personally value gaming performance much higher.
If I encode a DVD, I'm probably just leaving it in the background while I do other stuff
If I'm gaming, that performance affects me in real-time.[/edit]
and i've been checking for phenom overclocks on xs plenty of times... and let me tell you, there are not alot of success stories..
Check out the SB750 results. Most people are on SB600 boards, and a lot of people are using B2 chips.
and not only that... most amd's have a horrible cold bug and wno't budge on LN2... so it won't be taking no records anytime soon
They do very well on water cooling. But LN2? how many people use that on a day-to-day basis?
if phenom was so great.... there would much much more news going on about it.... but there isnt
There isn't much news because of the bad press it recieved initially, which sticks to them like glue, even though it's no-longer really deserved now.
[edit]the Phenom's + boards now are a lot better than they were on release. And with Deneb not far off, it's only getting better.[/edit]
now i'm not saying its a bad cpu... not at all,it holds its own.... but in a world of overclocking... forget it
Extreme overclocking, I'd agree.
But 99.9% of people aren't trying to break world records with LN2.
On air and water, and with SB750 boards, the Phenom's do get some good clocks.

I saw a few suggestions for the 4870 X2, but guess what, I saw noone ask what monitor he had.

The 4870 X2 is really only worth it if one has at least a 24' moniter, anything less and the moniter would be the bottleneck with low resolutions.

Huh???1 o_O

bottlenecking lower then 1920x1200? Please..............that is a matter of ur own opinion. Anything higher then 1680x1050 the HD 4870 x2 can handle easily i just dont see how a bottleneck could exist at 1680x1050 or something for the HD 4870 x2. 1680x1050 is still high. My card handles it pretty good. Unless u can prove me wrong.

EDIT:

gosh man, im waiting for MSI to send me back my cables. All i need is 2 SATA cables n then my computer is revived again!

Well he wanted a PC for $1500... what are we gonna do, give him a 9800GT and send him on his way because thats all he needs??

If you spend the same on a s775 board as you do on an AM2+ board, you'll probably be getting a better board with AM2+
That is completely subjective and not based on fact what so ever. And I can prove it.

I picked two motherboards, one s775 and one AM2+ that were of comparable spec, feature wise and performance wise. I even picked Apok's SB750

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
$100

Newegg.com - MSI DKA790GX Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
$160

The P45 is crossfireX capable and this particular one is known to be able to reach very high fsb. It was $130 when I bought it about a month ago. Now its $100.

The 790GX supports the same max ram, the same memory speeds and even has the same dual card support, but it cost $60 more. why would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom