think I need a bigger PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
OK, with my specs below, do I need a bigger PSU? I have 350W now...the only things that arent in my sig in my rig (haha) is a floppy drive and 3 fans (minus the cpu fan). My system runs ok now, no problems. But I will soon be adding a Artic cooling VGA cooler and a new Creative Soud Card. What do you think?

Don't look just at the wattage. You also want to know how much is being pumped through your +3.3v, +5v, and +12v lines. You can get a 400w power supply with a +12v line of 10a and that'll get you nothing but trouble and instability. Check out this website:

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp

halfway down the page is a beige table thats labeled Current Consumption (estimates) . Just go under each column, starting with +3.3v on the left. Add up the numbers on under 3.3 that match with what peripherals you have. From your description of your specs for the +3.3v rail you have 6.9 total, so when looking at a PSU you want it to say somewhere +3.3 - 15a or generally anything pretty well above what you got. The thing could say +3.3 - 10a and it'd work since you have 6.9. Now that you know how to add up and more accuretly asess what you need. Good luck =)

dude thats a 2 year old graph . . . it doesnt show current cpus and peripherals, etc

yeah but it still gives you a certain reference to what you should look for which is the point

besides look at the kind of memory you're only available to choose from on the graph you linked, unless every ram chip above pc133 is the same wattage as those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom