E8400 vs Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: E8400vsQ6600

Even though some games are becoming multithreaded for over 2 cores...an E8400 clocked very high will still be as fast if not faster.

The only quad I would get is a R0 q9450/Q9550 or E0 Q9650...but those are ridiculously expensive.

my C1 q9450 is a pretty darn good clocker. i thought R0 were only going to be q9400?

For the record....almost every program can and will use 4 cores. Its called "set affinity". World of warcraft only uses 2 cores by default, but i can set it to use all 4, and it does in fact, make a difference.

..... the game does not take advantage of the extra cores because there are no more threads. Assigning affinity will not do anything other than moving the WOW workload away from Core 0 which is usually running other windows apps in the background

..... the game does not take advantage of the extra cores because there are no more threads. Assigning affinity will not do anything other than moving the WOW workload away from Core 0 which is usually running other windows apps in the background

isn't that a good thing though? sharing the load between the four cores?

i just thought a dual core, even if it is a faster one, will become obsolete faster then a slightly lower quad.... remember this has got to last two years or so before i splash out on a whole new rig.:p

^ no because there are only 2 or maybe even just 1 thread with 3.6ghz of processing power executing it.

in 2 years the E8400 will be even better because SSE4 will be implemented better.

If you want a quad then get a Q9450 or some other 45nm quad

nagasama what do you have your Q9450 clocked to?

I think i'm going to upgrade to a 9650 and 1000mhz memory and put the q6600 in a 2nd build. q6600/another 750tx/2 gtx260s/TRUE/cm690 :p 4ghz quad ftw.

Also if you seriously thing that a game is only running 1-2 threads, you are smoking good stuff.

guru,
i have it up to 3.75 (469 x 8) w/ a little over 1.25 (i cant remember exact vcore). still going. gonna have to start really tweaking it now. all i did to get this clock was set the NB to 1.22, PLL to 1.52, VTT to 1.22 and raise the voltage. i will probably need to start messing with the gtl and cpu/nb skew to get to 3.8+...still got a bit of voltage before i reach my personal halt limit of 1.4-1.45V and temps are a-okay so far.
and if you are smoking the good stuff you should hook a brother up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom