Worrying speedfan readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukeman8

Baseband Member
my PC has been random shutting down so i figure it be due to heat problems
so i took it apart and cleaned it all out, since then PC has been alot quieter and no crashing.
just downloaded speedfan and did some readings
they look scary considering these are after i cleaned the PC.

speedfan.bmp - ImageHost.org

should i be worried? my hard drive can go up to 50.

temp 3 always stays at 128 so i dunno if thats a postive reading

*edit just a second reading
speedfan_2.bmp (599 KB)

i really should of posted my system specs shouldnt i lol
no its not that new, about 5 years old

single core processor 3.06 ghz
1 gig ram
windows xp
cant list much as im at work and cant remember much

You need to be more specific than that.

What make model cpu?

if Its 5 years old and 3ghz im going to go out on a limb here and say its a pentium 4. P4s run very hot. 56C is not out of the realm of possibility. That's still not good though.

A new HSF would go a long way, but we may not need that. Is your pc a dell by any chance? I know that they had some really bad cooling setups for P4's. If it is then it could be passively cooled, or semi actively cooled. That's never good especially with a cpu that is known to run hot.

You need to be more specific than that.

What make model cpu?

if Its 5 years old and 3ghz im going to go out on a limb here and say its a pentium 4. P4s run very hot. 56C is not out of the realm of possibility. That's still not good though.

A new HSF would go a long way, but we may not need that. Is your pc a dell by any chance? I know that they had some really bad cooling setups for P4's. If it is then it could be passively cooled, or semi actively cooled. That's never good especially with a cpu that is known to run hot.

sorry for the lack of info, been extremely busy.
Yes its P4 and yes its a dreaded dell, i really aint to keen on buying new bits for it as im building new pc in the near future. Just praying it keeps running till after christmas.
Just wondered if theres anything i can do mean time to help it out.
Already had it crash on me once after cleaning it.
I will post full system spec when i get back tonight

The way dell "cooled" the pentium 4s was by mounting a passive heatsink on the cpu which was covered by a large green baffles known to them as a "heat redirector". This "redirector" pointed to an exhaust fan at the back of the case. This isn't a very good way to cool a pc. Since its old I bet there is a lot of dust in there. I would remove that, don't use a vacuum cleaner it can short out components. But you can take individual parts out and brush them off as needed. Pay special attention to heatsinks and fans in the case, they will be the most clogged and they will need cleaning the most.

Slight mistake it aint a dell after all its advent.
Like i stated previously i have strip it bare and gave it a good clean
removing loads of dust.

The way dell "cooled" the pentium 4s was by mounting a passive heatsink on the cpu which was covered by a large green baffles known to them as a "heat redirector". This "redirector" pointed to an exhaust fan at the back of the case.

...the most retarded thing i have ever seen...when i first saw my mom's old dell P4 rig on the inside i was like..."wha...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom