Upgrading P4 processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMGViper

Beta member
Ok, so I have a Dell Dimension 8200 destop with an Intel Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, socket 478 processor. I'd like to swap it out for a 3.2ghz Pentium 4 478 socket processor. I think it has a Intel 850 or Intel 850 chipset/mobo.

Will simply swapping it out work? And can I put a P4 with Hyperthreading into it?

Documentation

A swap from one cpu to another will work fine as long as it is the correct socket.
The best P4 they made for s478 was the 3.4ghz Prescott model number SL7E6

However your system is so dated an upgrade to a newer one wouldn't hurt.

You would likely need a BIOS update from Dell to do the upgrade. Check out their site and the BIOS downloads. It should show you what CPU's it supports in that area.

But even the fastest s478 P4 really isn't going to hold a candle to a decent dual core proc today. That's just money you could put towards a newer system upgrade, as zmatt said.

According to the documentation the best CPU you could get would be the 2.8 GHz. That will still be compatible with your mobo. Dell doesnt offer BIOS updates to support any other type of CPU. If they did i would have updated my CPU to have 64 Bit support a long time ago. but i cant cause my BIOS doesnt have 64 Bit compatibility.

Dell doesnt offer BIOS updates

Dang it Dell, I took a look at their chipset/Bios updates and nothing.

Thanks for the support. Next computer will not be a Dell. lol

Well i should have said they offer BIOS updates but only for parts that they want their PC's to support. I know my mobo can handle a P4 with 64 Bit but my BIOS wont and Dell doesnt offer a BIOS that does.

Dang it Dell, I took a look at their chipset/Bios updates and nothing.

Thanks for the support. Next computer will not be a Dell. lol

Next time build your own. You will know exactly what is in it, what it supports. And best of all you wont get stuck with the cheap parts that oems toss in.

i'm surprised you could still find socket 478 processors, when i fried mine about 2 years ago, or maybe it was a year. I had a hard time finding one, i ended up with a slower chip celeron chip that was the only one i found in tiger direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom