Multi monitor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easyramzi

Beta member
Hey guys this is my first time here so dont expect to much.. anyway i plan on building a home cockpit for my flight simulator soon but im going to need to get a bunch of certain sized lcd monitors with VGA only. (wood, tools, ect)

How am i going to be able to connect about 5 to 10 LCD monitors for only one comp and each monitor will have to display a different view inside the airplane (for flight sim).

This is my comp that i just bought and i want to use the flight sim on this and to connect the monitors on this so heres a link to spec info and pics,
Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computers: HP Pavilion Desktop Computer featuring Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700 (M9340F) - Bilingual

How do i connect 5 to 10 LCD monitors using VGA into that comp i showed you and all monitors viewing a different view?

P.S im kinda wealthy so money is not a big factor here but if you can give me some cheap and expensive info, thanks.
Another P.S i didnt sleep for over 25 hours so dont expect university speling.

wow huge post for the first post :D

The build that you linked would be ok if it wasn't for the video card. For Flight Sim, i think the requirements are quite high, and with the setup you have specified that video card would be way underpowered.

You probably want something along these lines:

Q9550
ASUS Rampage
4870x2 (maybe even 2x4870x2's)
4 gig of Ram
Corsair 750tx
Case of preference
Operating System of preference (though for 4 gig of ram you will need a 64 bit OS). I recommend Vista Home Premium 64 BIT.

As for the multiple monitors, i think that you will need a special PCI connector thing (i can't remember what they are called :p) Other than that i have seen some monitors with USB connectors for Multiple screens.

Example: MNASVW223B - Netplus Micro Computers

actually, this asus 3870 x 2 would be the card to look at:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
you would need 2 of them (for 8 monitors, for 10 you would need 3, and a mobo that can handle it...and dont forget a PSU that would light up houston), and with flight sims...if you have 5-10 monitors hooked up i think your frame rates are going to be ridiculously low. really with any game.

Ok so i guess il just return that computer i bought and get one from newegg but is there any more info you can give me such as the exact specs and stuff like that so i know exaclty what i shoud buy, Thanks.

the card i linked will run 4 monitors how it sits. the others will only run 2 unless you buy some kind of aftermarket switching device and i have no idea where to even begin.
i dont play many flight sims, so i dont know how you would go about having each one show a different view. if you were playing on a single monitor, you would have a key bind that would switch the view. i dont see how that is possible to do it with no key bind and have a certain monitor show a certain view. if you are rich enough to buy 10 good monitors for a flight simulator, you are probably rich enough to have a high-tech computer shop custom build you such a device. they do exist. im not being sarcastic, but what you are asking i think is a little more complicated than you are likely to find on a forum. in short...i dont know. :)

Well i know you can get adapter things that hook multiple monitors, someone has to know what they are called.

Or you could always try to find one of those USB things, in which i would advise getting 2x 4870x2's. Also since you have the money you might aswell get a Corsair 1000W

yeah finding the parts to run the monitors isnt hard. okay, but what i am saying is how is the game going to be set up to recognize each monitor and what to display on it?
that is the hard part, i would think....unless the game/program has such things written into it (not very likely IMO). then, think about the framerates you are going to get with 2 4870's (really four cards) running TEN monitors (even if they are all 1024 x 768). i say bleh. spend the money and have it custom built. but i would really like to hear the solution for the monitor views.

wow. aside from that semi-rude ending, that was a great read. congratulations on your success.
i dont want to build a flight simulator...but if and when that time comes, i will certainly talk to you.
for my own info, i would still like to know how you go about showing the different cockpit views, as (i assume, i have never used fs) each is a seperate button press. how do you dictate the program that "a" graphics card displays view "x" and that "b" card displays view "y" and that these views are constant? is it written into the programs to do this, or is it something you have to customize? and dont you get lag trying to run that many monitors with 7900gtx cards? seems like it would, especially with FSX. how do you get the SLI to split to different monitors? is it because they are running the same program? but how do they display different images? do you have them in SLI, even? i know not tri because the 7 series wont do it.
pretty impressive setup you have though.
and just to be clear, im not a kid. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom