When you sell a computer, do you offer warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
(not exactly sure if this goes here, So if not, just switch it to the proper place.)

I did not like the case of my computer, so I just decided to sell it, and a person is asking me if I offer warranty, For those that sell computers for a living, do you sell the warranty for extra cash? or just give it to them? and is so, how many months do you give them?

Also, what are the chances of something not working once you have set it up, and have it running for over 2 weeks?

I only offer a labor/quality warranty, and parts warranty "only if" the part is still under warranty.

My old rig that i sold kept freezing, it turned out i didn't change the voltage after i gave him different RAM.

I offer a 1 year labour and 2 year parts warranty with all parts no matter if the part I got from the manufacturer is no longer covered. Do you have your own business or are you just doing this as a side project? If you're starting a business make absolute sure every one of your clients signs a contract and agrees to your terms. I've learned this from past experience :).

The chances of it not working after a short period are about 10% in the first year and 20% after that. These are from my experiences again.

From the sounds of it, he's just selling a spare case. I wouldn't offer a warranty, just sell it.

no I am selling the whole system in my signature, its too hard to just sell a case. (and I dont think its worth it as I dont get any profit)

yeah this is a side project.

So cvb, How do you manage to get profit, when a component stops working, and you have to replace it with a new one? (and warranty rans out)

Ah, well I still wouldn't offer warranty unless you're doing it for a business. Maybe offer a refund if it doesn't work on arrival. Other than that, I wouldn't.

So cvb, How do you manage to get profit, when a component stops working, and you have to replace it with a new one? (and warranty rans out)

The reason I keep the warranty like that is basically to keep the customer happy. They aren't too happy when you say 2 year warranty on selected parts :). In your case it's only a one time deal so you might not want to offer what I do.

I make a profit because the parts that primarily die are parts that have lengthy warranties. RAM, video cards and hard drives are 90% of what die. They all come with at least a 3 year warranty from the manufacturer. I offer 2 years so I keep the profit I originally made.

Things that aren't covered for 2 years usually include computer cases, processors and select motherboards. I estimate that I built around 120-150 computers last year (2007). Out of all of those, I maybe had 6 parts die that weren't still covered. A couple of cracked case covers, a faulty processor (rarely ever happens) and 1 dead motherboard that was past it's 1 year warranty.

If I told them that it was a 2 year warranty on the computer but the part that they broke wasn't covered, they wouldn't give me any business again. I'm willing to pay the small extra price if it means they'll come back to me the next time.

Hope that explains it :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom