Is Linux Actually Better Than Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux is based on Unix. You could say Unix evolved into Linux in the early 90's(I believe.)

The games are one of the downfalls. But there is a change in how things work with Linux. For example you have RPM's, binary and source. But is not as scary as it sounds. It just takes a little while to get use to the difference. One of the things I don't like is now that I am hooked on Linux. What am I going to do with all this windows software, lol. Hmmm, I do have a microwave.

Webwolf

no problem compy, wolf and i keep answering them, so you know that it isn't a problem.

1 of the downfalls wolf, i can't really think of any other.

hahahah, microwave...thanks for giving me all of these awnsers...i do have one left...how do you go about having the two os's installed on the computer? do you bye 2 HDD's one dedicated to each os?

its a good idea to put each on a different hard drive if possible. you'll have to dual boot the 2 os. don't worry, when installing linux it will setup up the dual boot for you. so when you boot up you can select windows or linux.

xotix said:
no problem compy, wolf and i keep answering them, so you know that it isn't a problem.

1 of the downfalls wolf, i can't really think of any other.

I agree. I am still learning a lot with Linux and other things. And believe me when I say asking questions is the best way to learn. Also google has a good search engine for linux. http://www.google.com/linux

You may be able to find more info there.

Same here. The programs they have for office, GIMP and so on are excellent. And many are FREE, lol. It is amazing how these programs can be free and so much better then many of the highly priced software by certain companies.

I have saved money on much of the basics. So I went out and bought Doom 3(the linux binaries will be out soon, I hope.), a twenty dollar book for Doom 3, a Nvidia 5700(for now.) I haven't bought a distro yet because I am still stuck on either buying Mandrake or Suse Pro. I think Suse pro is in the lead, but I really do like Mandrake also. Sp I am not cheap. But I like to spend my money on different things. Not all of it on one thing.

Webwolf

xotix said:
its a good idea to put each on a different hard drive if possible. you'll have to dual boot the 2 os. don't worry, when installing linux it will setup up the dual boot for you. so when you boot up you can select windows or linux.

You can do that. But if you have a large enough hard drive then you can partition it with Mandrake or Suse. They have a program that will let you resize your Windows partition so you can fit Linux on it. But be carefull. You can loose information doing that and may not be able to boot Windows, this happened ot me a couple of times but I also did it a few times without any problems.) One of the downfalls I had with my second hardrive is that my bios wouldn't let me boot from it, no matter what. Even though grub was loading fine it wouldn't boot the second drive. So I keep all my /root and /boot partitions on the first drive and I use the second one for a backup partition, /home, /usr, swap, etc..

I have an 80GB and a 20GB drive. WIndows XP is on the 80GB, along with Suse /root , my second hard drive has my swap partition, /backup and /home on it. I still have about 40GB left on my 80GB drive. Guess I will be installing another linux distro, lol. Though I do want to give FreeDos a try.

Webwolf

i say go with suse pro wolf.

thats exactly why i said to put them on different drives, just so if he gets some problems, he can still turn to windows.

just a quick note on the security side of linux: it is absically impossible to get a virus in linux, because to launch it you would have to be logged in as root for one (somehting you NEVER should do) so that the virus would have access to all the important files, and secondly its because the linux filesystem isnt as plainly mapped out as windows. ie, on every windows system EVERY important file is in the exact same location, this isnt so for linux....

However, in saying this, its not impossible for someone to gain access to your computer so you shoudl still always have a firewall going. There are thinks called daemons that always run in teh background and are pretty much available to ANYONE that decides to telnet into your computer....pretty stupid but thats what firewalls are for.

Anyway jsut thought id add that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom