Windows crashes on newly built system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter14850

Beta member
Roughly once every week my windows cursor or whole windows screen is deformed and the system hangs or a BSOD appears (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, 0x9c). It can happen any time with the CPU usage very low.

When I play "Mass Effect" with "dynamic shadow effect on", it happens much more often (less than 20 minutes of playing).
If the effect is turned off it crashes much less frequently.

I have the following system configuration I assembled 2 months ago.

Someone please help, or if we gather enough information like this, I think we can see some pattern and be able to pinpoint the cause.

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (driver updated 1 month ago)

EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card (driver updated 1 month ago)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L

Windows XP 64

Hello Peter Welcome to Tech-Forums!

I would install ATiTool and make sure that your video card temps are not to high. Also i would double check for a driver update to the video card. If i am not mistaken there was a release within the past month.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks, Mak,

So far not successful.

1. My ATiTool says it cannot detect ATI graphics card
and most of the functions were disabled.
I have Everest ultimate but could not find GPU temperature.

2. I updated the most recent graphics driver and tried
Mass Effect with the dynamic shadows on. Same thing happened
after 20 minutes of playing.

3. There seems to be no bios update for 8800GTS
(it exists only for 8800GT).

I will wait and see if the system crashes again during
normal low CPU/GPU usage condition and report here if it does.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forums Peter,

Are you getting these drivers directly from ATI? If both ATITool and Everest can't detect your cards temp it sounds like the drivers didn't install correctly.

he doesn't have an ATI card hes got a Nvidia card so those wont help him. heres a suggestion. which has helped me before on my older MB, reseat your ram. make sure each ram sticks are inserted correctly. check your CPU temperatures use core temp to record temps when it resets/locksup if their too high you need a new cooler or maybe your current one is not installed/compounded correctly. also resteat your card just in case sometimes cards when installed and screwed in tend to pop up at the end causing problems. if the problem persists attempt to use 1 stick of ram then swap it if it crashes and if it doesn't on the 2nd one you have a memory problem.

Didn't see he had a nVidia. It's very likely it's a video problem because it's worse when shadows are on. Try downloading these nVidia Drivers and see if the problem persists.

Thanks, cvb and kage,

Your suggestions seem to be solid. I will try them and let you know the result.

cvb, I have one more question for you.
Is it usually safe to install Win2K+AMD64 driver to WinXP64+IntelQuad?
Indeed what you've found, 177.84, seems to be more recent than 177.79
I installed earlier today and I want to try it if my small concern goes away.

Thanks.

Yes it just says AMD64 on the driver file. It is the newest nVidia CUDA driver from their site for both Intel and AMD. This is where I found it: Download CUDA Code.

If the problem persists try downloading an ealier version of the drivers without CUDA. A driver with the preceeding numbers 175 or lower should be without the CUDA code.

ATiTool should work even for a nVidia card. It works to detect my 8600GT just fine. The only thing is that it doesnt work in Vista. But other than that i use it all the time in XP to monitor my temps and OC my video card when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom