Horizontal Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusher

Solid State Member
Here's my problem, it's going to be a long post (sorry)

motherboard: asus crosshair
Processor AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 5600+
Ram: 2gigs
Hard drive: 1 X 10k raptor drive 150 gig and Raided Mirrored 2x 320gig (for file storage, etc)

Video card: Nvidia 8800 gtx 768ram BFG card

I installed the warhammer beta preview weekend game and played for the first night, the next day though it crashed and since then I have had horizontal lines on my screen. I have the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" when I go to hardware manager under the properties tab on the video card. I was able to fix this problem through uninstalling the nvidia drivers in safe mode and then I reinstalled them, but this only corrected the problem for two/three days and now it's back. I did uninstall the drivers in safemode and ran disc cleaner pro rebooted and reinstalled drivers, no change.

I know the system is running on the generic windows drivers as there is that step scrolling.

I've also tried to reformat my system. I run 1x 150gig 10k raptor drive as my primary drive and have a raided mirror 320gigs x2 hard drives in raid. I've put the xp disc in and a few different things happen. When I try to do a fresh install it cannot find the hard drive, and I've also tried installing the raid drivers with a floppy and some error code comes up on that as well.

I would really like to be able to get a reformat going on to wipe everything to eliminate whether it is a software or hardware issue. My brother has a system with the same video card and if it doesn't clear up with the format I can swap cars to see if its the card.

Where should I go from here? If there is any other info you guys need plz post as I will get asap! I have been messing with this on and off for over a week now between work. It's super annoying as I can't play my games :(.

-dennis

I've reformatted before with xp cd and never had an issue, but this was before I added the raid mirror. I'm using the nvidia media shield.

For the RAID just set that up in Windows and not during the installation if it's giving you problems. Have you downloaded the latest nVidia drivers or are you using the disk that came with your Video Card?

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers from nvidia. I will set up the raid in windows then after the installation. However, when I reboot and set the first boot to CD and it boots from the xp cd the set up can't see my WD raptor hard driver for some odd reason. It gives me something along the lines of make sure it's connected, etc. It also does the same thing if I try to do a repair install.

Should I manually disconnect the drives from the motherboard before I do the reformat? I shouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. Either way it doesn't explain why xp set up can't see my hard drive to start windows install/repair.

I've never used it, but would the recovery console help?

To be honest, when a device isn't recognized in windows, you could try the bios and make sure the device is activated before you run the windows format. I've had a few problems in recognizing the hard drive etc etc.

If you run the reformat on your primary and that doesn't work I would swap the graphics card and/or cable just to be safe. So, first, brand new cable, then, swap out for the card.

That's all I can think of hardware wise, is to check your bios. If the bios reads the hard drive - then unplug it, check your contacts, clean them - everything, then try again.

If it's giving you the make sure it's connected text then it usually either means it isn't properly connected or your SATA port is listed in BIOS as being run in RAID. Switch it to IDE.

Recovery console won't see your drive either. Try changing the SATA cable, make sure power is getting to the drive and try the drive on another computer to make sure it still is actually running.

alright, I was able to reformat. I was able to switch the sata 2 and 3 (which is the raided drives ) and disabled raid and disabled raid on the sata channels, and the reformat was able to go through. However, I still have those lines now :( so I am going to have to completely update windows and then switch video cards with my brothers computer. It's the same error 10 stuff.

Another quick question, now I re-enabled those drives back to raid and raid is enabled under the sata channels now, but now the bios and nvidia mediashield are showing them as seperate arrays, how do I make them back into the mirrored set up I've been having? I can see both drives under my computer.

Okay, you basically took out the order of hard drives on your pc, from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3. That really shouldn't matter seeing as you can still set the master/slave via the bios. In order to apply a raid job to all of the hard drives, you would run the application that you have from your motherboard disc on the hard drives after they've been wiped clean again.

Keep in mind, if your using a raid of any sort you have to format the hard drives for the raid to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom