New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomS

Baseband Member
Have had my current PC for over 2.5 years now and so have decided to get a new one. What do people think of these specs? I've considered waiting for Core i7 but couldn't justify the cost when you factor in DDR3, an expensive mobo and the obvious higher cost of the processor.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer
Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 1150MHz/PC2-9200 Reaper Memory HPC Edition Dual Channel CL5 - Ebuyer
PowerColor HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular PSU - 2x 8pin PCI-E 2x 6pin PCI-E 4x 12V Rails 80PLUS Energy Efficiency - Ebuyer
Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU - Ebuyer
Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM - Ebuyer
Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM - Ebuyer
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler - Ebuyer

Anything I should change? I'm getting that fairly hefty PSU because I intend to get another HD4870 at some point and also it seems pretty futureproof. At the moment the system comes to around £640/$1170 and I don't intend to spend much more, if any!

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

looks like a very nice build you have there.

What do you use the computer for primarily? Any video encoding or anything like that?

DOn't bother with that memory, get 4gb of 1066mhz instead...and you might want to consider the 45nm dual cores..they are faster than the q6600 in most things....especially games.

I would go for at least 3gb of decent RAM or 4 if your going to be using 64bit operating system.

2gig = 32 bit, 4gig+ = 64bit.

3 gig is optional but not really needed, you get 4 gig for the fact of dual channel and the extra boost of demanding games, though i don't see any game or program that would use over 2gig, maybe heavy video and CAD work.

though i don't see any game or program that would use over 2gig

My Fire Fox is a pain in the ***. It peaks at about 1gig or over of ram usage some times. So 4 gigs is well worth it if you want to remain future proof. Seems like 2 gigs will become a bottleneck before long.

Cheers for all the advice everyone, I'm gonna stick with 2GB of RAM and that RAM is actually pretty cheap so I'm gonna stick with it. I have changed a few things round tho, here's what I have decided to get so far:

pc2pe4.jpg

I'm ordering from 2 different stores coz of price differences, comes to ~£655.

I want a decent PSU so I can upgrade the graphics card in a year or so without any worries about power consumption and that PSU is competitively priced.

There aren't any compatibility issues from what you guys can see are there?

Nice choices....

However personally I would choose this board over the EP45 although they are both quite good.

and are you getting a Q6600 or dual core 45nm? I recommend the dual core because:

A) It overclocks much higher (4ghz easy)
B) Is faster clock for clock in games and most things
C) I have one for sale so you can save some money and it's a proven overclocker :D

Nice choices....

However personally I would choose this board over the EP45 although they are both quite good.

and are you getting a Q6600 or dual core 45nm? I recommend the dual core because:

A) It overclocks much higher (4ghz easy)
B) Is faster clock for clock in games and most things
C) I have one for sale so you can save some money and it's a proven overclocker :D

Just bought that system mate! I want a quad because newer games eg. Far Cry 2 make use of all 4 cores, and I'll get enough performance out of games which don't anyway. As for the mobo, it seemed good for O/C and so I got it, won't make a huge diff to me tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom