College laptop along with light gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk0713

Beta member
Hi, there. First time poster as well as college freshman here. I am currently in the process of purchasing a laptop to carry around the college campus with me, but at the same time wish to do a bit of light gaming on it. (Primarily Team Fortress 2 and Warhammer Online in medium-high settings.) I am looking for the opinion of professionals and wondering what you think of my choice so far.

After doing a bit of searching, I noticed that Dell is taking $600 off your purchase for the labor day weekend that I thought I'd take advantage of.

I am thinking of purchasing an XPS laptop and the specs of the laptop that I am considering are as follows:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
High Definition Audio 2.0
Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
-All coming out to around $1,249.

However, I am at a crossroad with a few components. For example, for $125 more I could get an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache). I know that for basic school functions (Word, Excel, minor video editing) an extra .1 of CPU speed wouldn't make that much of a difference, however, what change would there be in gaming?

Also, for $150 I could get a Full Hi Definition, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1920x1200) & 2.0 M. Do you think the resolution on this screen would make that much of a difference for games?

Thank you very much for any input. A confused student very much appreciates any help. :)

I think the newer LED LCD's can run at a really high resolution only problem is it might be difficult to read some text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom