boot CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlandcomp

Baseband Member
I've downloaded XP Pro for a client from Microsoft website. Its in .img format.
The PC is brand new fresh install. Now the problem is I cannot make a bootable CD out of this ".img". I tried with Sonic cd burner software with boot cd option and it burned it on a CD. But system is not booting. BIOS is set to boot from CD. It says insert a system CD or something like that.

I resolved it using setup floppy disks. But would like to find out how to make
a bootable CD out of this ".img" file.

thanks
Sam

Use Alcohol 120% or PowerISO or MagicISO to burn the .img file. I think even ImgBurn should burn it for you. a .img is just another format like .iso and should be burned as is.

Cheers,
Mak

Strange MS would release anything in a format other than ISO. The boot sector should be self contained within the image. The boot option does not need to selected.

I have never seen anything from the Microsoft site be in anything other than ISO. Even from MSDN and TechNET. I just provided the solution.

Also this should be in WINDOWS as this is NOT a hardware problem.

Thanks for your reply guys. So if I burn a ".img" file as a data cd, it should boot ( if the img supposed to be a bootable one) ?

Thanks for your reply guys. So if I burn a ".img" file as a data cd, it should boot ( if the img supposed to be a bootable one) ?

No, you cannot burn it as a data CD and expect it to boot. You have to use the 'Burn Image' option of a program to burn the contents of the image, as well as the boot options for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom