does cloning a hard drive work in vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I have a 500 gig hdd wasting away in my media server. I stream from my other computers so all I need is a 40-80 gig in it. but I could have swore that I seen post here saying that clonind a hdd with vista doesn't work with vista. is this true? what should I use to clone vista?

I use Acronis True Image. I have several cloned backups of Vista that work flawlessly when restored. I don't use Vista's system restore points as I don't trust them to solve problems. Restoring a recent back up has always kept me out of trouble.:happy:

That is correct. Acronis is the best app to do this with. I have seen others use Ghost, but Ghost has some issues.

What's good about Acronis is can clone a live OS. There's no need boot to a CD to perform a backup. Images can be mounted as a virtual drives so data can be pulled from them as needed.

powerquest drive image 7 does this stuff. I was wondering if it would work with vista. I don't like acronis because acronis have a habit of leaving you with an unbootable system. I've never use acronis to clone a drive though. I used them to partition and created backups and restore backups

I have tried Drive Image 7 on Vista and it dont work. So far only Acronis and Ghost are tested to work.

Acronis has data backup mode which isn't intended to preserve low level boot information. It's image(clone) mode does create a restorable backup that will boot. Instead of dual booting I used bounce back and forth between XP and Vista with no problems. Now that I have a stable Vista system the XP images are no longer used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom