PSU for a GeForce 9800 GX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
I've finally decided to build a new computer for myself, but I've been out of the PC Hardware scene so long that my knowledge is out of date and I don't understand all the new hardwares power requirements.

I've decided to go with the GeForce 9800 GX2, and see that it requires one 8-pin and one 6-pin power connector, and a minimum 580W or greater system power supply. What I don't understand is that it needs a minimum 12V current rating of 40A.

I don't really understand the deal of 12V with a rating of 40A. All the PSU I find on Newegg are 12V 22A or 20A. I've yet to see one that says 12V 40A.

Basically, I don't understand all the requirements for these new high performance hardware.

So I'm asking: what should I look for in a PSU to know that it'll be compatible with the GeForce 9800 GX2?

Wow, I can't believe I overlooked that one. So just for me to know, does it HAVE to have a rating of +12V@60A for this GPU to work?

Thanks for the find, Gustave5436.

No it doesn't HAVE to have it but it's safer. :)

You just need to make sure you grab a PSU with the 8-Pin PCI-E connection and not the more common 6-Pin. If you're running a fairly power hungry CPU as well you should look at quad rails.

you could run it from a 30A+ system if wanted to. they just say that to cover themselves for people who buy rubbish psu's

That's a very good choice in terms of working with your 9800 but my experience working with ABS is mediocre. About a 1/4 chance the PSU is DOA. Just letting you know in case that concerns you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom