Is Linux Actually Better Than Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you should be asking is should you switch to linux and is it worth the switch? Some softwares that you use in windows won't work in linux. You might consider multi/ dual booting windows with linux. If you want a taste of linux try knopixx linux-on-CD first

If you have enough ram, you can actually load the OS into RAM. I remember reading that, but don't remember the command.

I've been using Knoppix, and like xotix said, it's bearable. Definitely would be faster if I loaded it into RAM.

its all about taking the plunge and just doing it if you want to do it. Yes it is better, but no it doesnt run all the latest games and stuff. you have to decide if linux is right for you. One of the main reasons i have linux is cause im doing computer science at Uni, and like to have a version of linux on hand to do unix work and java.

other than programming and getting efficient in the unix environment, i wouldnt probably even bother with using it, since i mostly use my comp for playing games and chatting (which windows is fine for).

Yes it is but there is a lot more software available for Windows. I have Suse 9.1 and Windows XP on my computer. I use Suse for just about everything but I use windows for games. Mainly because there are not that many games out there for Linux, yet. Doom 3 will be available on Linux soon, quake is, Return to Wolfenstien and others. But the list is much smaller the Windows.

Linux is more stable then Windows. I can keep my computer on for weeks at a time with Linux without any problems. Windows never lasted a day before it started acting buggy and freezing up,(Win95, 98, 98SE and XP.)

I love the fact that you almost never have to reboot linux after you install or un-install a program. You have to reboot windows almost all the time.

There is a difference in both os'. It may take a person some time to get use to how things are compared to a life long use of Microsoft Windows. But the best Linux distros I found that are good for the transition and easy to install and use are Mandrake 10.0 Official, Suse 9.1 and Damn Small Linux(Based on Knoppix but around 50MB.) It is both a bootable cd and you can do a hard drive install. If you have dsl or the like get Mandrake, it works great with that. Suse seems to work better with dial up as well as broadband. The free version of Mandrake is loaded. I think it is four cd's. Suse 9.1's free iso is very limited but you can download the pro rpms as needed from their site. You can also do an ftp install for both Mandrake and Suse pro.

Damn Small Linux is great. I used it a lot when I had a broadband connection. It is small but it is enough to get started and use to it. If you do a hard drive install you can add what you like as you go.

There are a lot of free programs that make up for much of the change from WIndows to Linux. Their is also a growing number of commercial programs that really kick a**.

Well this was my long winded two cents, lol. Have fun with whatever os/distro you choose.

Webwolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom