I am looking for a light-weight and portable notebook for uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiLiCatLet

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a notebook for Chrismas end of this year. I am still at the stage of looking around. However, I got 3 main requirements which I would like to have.
1. Light, something under 1.5kg will be good. My build is quiet small, I can't carry something too heavy around yet I need something that could run reasonable. I need a few simulation programs for my course, so I cross out any netbooks in the market. (Although they are light and cheap)
2. Battery life, I need something that can last up to 6 hours or more under normal usage.
3. Durable, I heard endless story about notebook die in 1year, just outside the warrantly period. It will be nice to know which brand or series last longer or more durable .

Price is not that big of a issue (maybe)... something around 2500usd or a little more I should still able to afford. Small is not an issure too, I can bear with a 12" or smaller screen, I got small fingers anyway.
I wonder if anyone have any recommendation? My friend recommend Panasonic Let's Note W7, but cnet's review is not very good.

Thanks,
Kilicatlet

The EEEPC might be your best bet. Small, lightweight and good battery. But without buying a battery there is very few that have 6 hours or more of life out there.

Now that i think about it the EEEPC wouldnt be that good. It only uses flash memory and wouldnt allow you to do much with it. Maybe a Dell Vostro might be something to look into. Asus is also a good brand.

If you need to run simulations the eepc may not be powerful enough. The Dell XPS M1330 should have no problems running any applications, is small and weighs less than 4lbs and fits within your budget . For $2,100 you can get it with these specs,

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
4gb of DDR2 ram
120gb SSD (Solid State Drive)
9 Cell Battery
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

If you want to save some money you could cut the SSD and OLED display.

Now that i think about it the EEEPC wouldnt be that good. It only uses flash memory and wouldnt allow you to do much with it. Maybe a Dell Vostro might be something to look into. Asus is also a good brand.

Dell Vostro seem to but a little heavy for my liking, the 13" model is already around 2kg
One of my friend is using Asus A8 series, her review is not that good, she break the keyboard within 3 months of purchase.
I actually did look into fujitsu P series, but it seem a little expensive for the spec.
I need a notebook that can handle 3D for stimulation program and recreational drawing on photoshop. That's why I am quiet frustrated on what to get.

If you need to run simulations the eepc may not be powerful enough. The Dell XPS M1330 should have no problems running any applications, is small and weighs less than 4lbs and fits within your budget . For $2,100 you can get it with these specs,

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
4gb of DDR2 ram
120gb SSD (Solid State Drive)
9 Cell Battery
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

If you want to save some money you could cut the SSD and OLED display.
Thanks, I will go take a look. =D

Edit:
The spec are nice, I will keep this in mind and take a look in the shop next week. Thanks.
Any other recommendation? Anything lighter in weight will be nice.

What do you guys think about the Japanese Panasonic Let's Note CF-W7DWJAJR
Which is the Japanses verson of Toughnote CF-W7.
My friend highly recommend it for the funky mouse, ECO system, flip up dvd/cd drive and the toughness.Althrought I am a little worry about the CPU and 1GB ram.

Windows Vista Business with SP1 (can be downgrade to XP)
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor Ultra Low Voltage★ U7600 (1.20 GHz , L2 cache 2 MB*2 , 533 MHz FSB)
Mobile Intel® GM 965 Express chipset
1GB DDR2 SDRAM (2GB Max, 1 empty slot.)
120 GB Harddisk (Serial ATA)
11 hours operating time
Approx. 1249 g (standarad battery)

It's in japanese : Žd—l | ƒŒƒbƒcƒm￾[ƒgW (CF-W7D) | Panasonic

I will look at this too. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom