Can I add a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I opened up the laptop and you're right. No extra room.
Maybe I'll just replace he HDD.
But then I will have to reload vista:(

Yup its catch 22. Depends on what your intentions are. IF you are looking for extra storage you can use USB storage devices. The con with this is that you have to carry it around when you are on the move. But if you are looking forward for better and faster and spacious harddrive the only way is system reinstall.

If you want you can replicate your hard drive using norton ghost to a new hard drive.

Sam.

You usually can't have 2 hard drives in a small laptop. If you have a 17" or larger laptop, usually it will have an extra bay where you can add a second hard drive. My HP Pavilion dv9700t (and all dv9000 as well as dv8000 models) have a second bay. You can add another hard drive to these models. dv2000 and dv6000 series laptops are too small for two drives.

the only software that I found that could successfully clone a hdd is ez gig II which is acronis in disguise. you can clone them with anything if you have 2 hdd bays, but who has that on a laptop?

Ez gig II will work after you buy a usb to notebook hdd adapter then clone it.

if you have 2 hdd bays, but who has that on a laptop?

If your laptop is 17" or greater, it most likely does have two bays. Mine does, and I've seen others from other manufacturers that also have two bays. 17" laptops aren't super uncommon, I've seen quite a few of them (other than mine) here at college. If you have a smaller laptop, you can always use a USB to IDE or USB to SATA external adapter/enclosure and use that to clone drives with.

I've messed with a lot of 17" laptops yet, Ive only ran across one that has 2 harddrive bays.

I know the HP dv8000 line (old 17" model) and dv9000 line (current 17" model, I have the dv9700t) have 2 bays, I'm planning on getting a 500GB for my second bay when they come out.

HP's brand new dv7t (their new 17" model) also has 2 bays.

Dell Studio 17 has 2 bays.

Dell XP M1730 has 2 bays.

Gateway's 17" laptops have 2 bays.

Those are the major brands I've seen, apparently they all have 2 bays. Maybe there are some other brands (ASUS, Acer, etc) that don't have 2 bays.

I know the HP dv8000 line (old 17" model) and dv9000 line (current 17" model, I have the dv9700t) have 2 bays, I'm planning on getting a 500GB for my second bay when they come out.

HP's brand new dv7t (their new 17" model) also has 2 bays.

Dell Studio 17 has 2 bays.

Dell XP M1730 has 2 bays.

Gateway's 17" laptops have 2 bays.

Those are the major brands I've seen, apparently they all have 2 bays. Maybe there are some other brands (ASUS, Acer, etc) that don't have 2 bays.

I just figured it out. I'm confusing 15 inch wide screen for 17 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom