What do you think of this configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LynchHung

Solid State Member
Just wondering what you guys think of this? Any changes should be made?

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - ASRock X48TurboTwins-WiFi LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Looking at one of these two monitors:

Newegg.com - Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 400 cd/m2 3000:1 ACM - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Price isn't too important, but I'm leaning toward the 24 inch, worried that 28 inches may be a little big (as well that 24 inch seems to be of better quality - though each look good).

My HD would be a 320GB SATA.

Any comments?

Forgot to mention there is a $60 off combo with the case+psu, which makes the PSU I picked the same price as the suggested one. (And while still $10 more than the buy.com one, I'd simply prefer to get everything at newegg). As well with that case, they mentioned some issues with PSUs fitting, so I figure if the brands are the same, I should be good, right?

I was previously considering that cooler (as I had heard it was almost as good as the one I picked, and less than half the price), but looking at the reviews, almost everyone mentions how horrible it is to install. For a "n00b" like me, I wouldn't want to risk breaking something.

I was also hoping to, in 2 or 3 years, to grab a new (what will be aging) CPU, and RAM (quad-core something I can get a similar clockspeed with, and 8GBs DDR3 RAM), and maybe a second 4870. That's why I picked that mobo. I figured it left enough room for upgrades in a few years that I would be able to pick up some lower cost parts and bump it up to a more mid-range performance point. I'd be in college and probably not wanting to spend another grand-and-a-half on a new computer. Don't know if you have any suggestions about that though. And accounting for shipping, that motherboard is only $5 cheaper than the one I picked out.

Was also considering this RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory should I go with that?

Well it looks like you have read the reviews on newegg, and you are going by those opinions, not by real reviews of hardware from professionals out there. We suggest these thing becaus we read those reviews alot and keep up to date - i doubt most people who post on newegg do.

Now, having said that, thermaltake PSUs are not a great brand, they are ok, but dont expect it to last long, and dont expect it to run all of that with 2 HD4870s. I have the same case, and your never going to have a problem with a standard ATX PSU, its a huge case. Dont skip on the PSU.

That ram is quite good as well.

Fair enough...

I switched the RAM and the cooler. Would that Corsair PSU power a quad-core (I guess I'd hope for 4GHZ), 8GB DDR3, and 2x4870s (and I'll probably in the future add a couple of HDs)? If not I'd rather just spring for one which will. (As I'm now saving $70 from previous components).

Did some Wattage calculations, and with I may be going to in the future (rounded up a bit though) I may need a slightly more powerful PSU. (I was assuming all of what I previously mentioned, 4 sata HDs, a blu-ray and combo drive, my fans, a couple of PCI devices, and 20% wear on the PSU). I found this:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I heard that's a really reliable company.

Fair enough...

I switched the RAM and the cooler. Would that Corsair PSU power a quad-core (I guess I'd hope for 4GHZ), 8GB DDR3, and 2x4870s (and I'll probably in the future add a couple of HDs)? If not I'd rather just spring for one which will. (As I'm now saving $70 from previous components).

Did some Wattage calculations, and with I may be going to in the future (rounded up a bit though) I may need a slightly more powerful PSU. (I was assuming all of what I previously mentioned, 4 sata HDs, a blu-ray and combo drive, my fans, a couple of PCI devices, and 20% wear on the PSU). I found this:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I heard that's a really reliable company.

Yeh PC Power and Cooling are a very good company, but normally they are a bit more expensive and higher wattage. 860W is huge and you wont need that even for the setup you are thinking about. I would look for something in the 700-750W range. Oh and the wattage is not really the most important thing, the amps are: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-137927/

So both those PSUs would power it easily. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom